Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what L.E.D bulbs will fit my 2003 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what L.E.D bulbs will fit my 2003 headlights?

what L.E.D bulbs will fit my 2003 headlights? looking to make my headlights brighter what bulb guys will foit into my stock 03 headlights and the fog lights too. thanks Rob

Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Overlanding

i belive their 9003 but idk id go the led route hid are much brighter and relativly trouble free provided you buy quality. https://www.bluhmenterprises.com

Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Here is the bulb chart from the Silvania website.

Attached Files
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 AM
acg
Pro Wrench

This is the LED store I used for my past automotive LED projects, mostly interior lights, exterior side lamps, etc:

2003 Land Rover Discovery LED Lights | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

LED bulbs are not advisable for headlamps. One reason is LEDs run hot and need excellent heat dissipation. I used LED lamps for mountain biking. The better LED torches are designed with cooling fins to help dissipate heat. LED bulbs inside a headlamp casing such as the Disco is not a good combination.

In addition, the LED light pattern is dispersed. This is the reason LED is common as a flood lamp, DRLs, fog lamp, but not as a headlamp. Most LED torches are designed with appropriate reflector covers to provide the correct type of beam (e.g., spot, flood, etc). A headlamp needs a well defined beam cut-off (beam cutoff profiles are different under US and Euro compliance regulations). I am not sure the factory reflectors for the headlamp will combine well with the LED headlamp bulbs, assuming they are offered in the market.

Last edited by acg; 07-24-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
This is the LED store I used for my past automotive LED projects, mostly interior lights, exterior side lamps, etc: 2003 Land Rover Discovery LED Lights | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs LED bulbs are not advisable for headlamps. One reason is LEDs run hot and need excellent heat dissipation. I used LED lamps for mountain biking. The better LED torches are designed with cooling fins to help dissipate heat. LED bulbs inside a headlamp casing such as the Disco is not a good combination. In addition, the LED light pattern is dispersed. This is the reason LED is common as a flood lamp, DRLs, fog lamp, but not as a headlamp. Most LED torches are designed with appropriate reflector covers to provide the correct type of beam (e.g., spot, flood, etc). A headlamp needs a well defined beam cut-off (beam cutoff profiles are different under US and Euro compliance regulations). I am not sure the factory reflectors for the headlamp will combine well with the LED headlamp bulbs, assuming they are offered in the market.
Are you sure about your statement of LED's running hot? I was under the impression that LED's run cooler and draw less wattage. I thought that's why they are used for many projects, they don't put out heat. Maybe I'm confused? I know my interior dome light LED's do not get hot at all.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

LED's run cooler and draw less wattage.

Last edited by drowssap; 07-24-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
LED's run cooler and draw less wattage.
They do, but whereas conventional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs dissipate heat by emitting radiation at the front, LED lights dissipate heat through the body of the light fixture and conventional headlights are not designed for that, so they heat up and don't perform as well, or burn out. If you look at a MR-16 LED light for example, you'll notice that they have as many aluminum fins as possible around the bulb, and you won't need that on a conventional glass MR-16 bulb. Some LED bulbs intended as retrofit in a headlight actually have a little fan in the back to get rid of that heat.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Drifting

So then no one makes an L.E.D bulb that fits the Rover?

Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

As far as I know, unfortunately, the answer is no.

You may want to consider HIDs if you are seeking more lumens. However, you will need to find a appropriate HID projector set-up which provides the proper beam pattern to avoid light glare for drivers approaching from the opposite direction. I recollect some old posts from the forum on some successful conversions.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of now, there are no reliable LED replacement bulbs up to the task for headlight duty. The physical LEDs do not get hot but their associated electronics do. All quality LED systems will have large heatsinks like lowestbidder said.

Last edited by vette427sbc; 07-24-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: what L.E.D bulbs will fit my 2003 headlights?