Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was Land Rover thinking when they made an unserviceable u-joint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 432 Likes on 274 Posts
Default What was Land Rover thinking when they made an unserviceable u-joint?

I just got finished replacing the front driveshaft (insanely simple task, couldn't believe it) and sat on the driveway with a beer, staring at the old driveshaft, and couldn't help but wonder what the heck LR was thinking when they made literally all the ujoints greasable, front AND rear driveshafts, except for the one by the cat. Honestly, why? Anybody have an idea?

Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

About 10£ difference.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

I think lots of other auto makers made unserviceable drive shafts and it’s not a big issue
subaru comes to mind

Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Subaru is also notorious for head gaskets and blown engines

Old 04-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

By the time they realized it was a bad idea it was to late to go back and change it. Not that they would have anyway. Look on the bright side. At least you haven’t paid $70,000+ for a new D5 only to find the windshield leaks, electronics are crap, letters fall off after a few days and the dealerships don’t care. I can’t figure out for the life of me why anyone would buy a D5 after all the problems owners here have and what I hear from others.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

In the realm of what were they thinking that isn't even close to the top of the list. As someone who has managed engineers for 30 years, I would love to have a meeting with the engine
ers responsible for the following items (in order):

1. Valve cover baffle instead of a PCV valve - GM gave the world rights to the patent - WTF?
2. That thermostat design? Had to be responsible for at least 30% of their bad reputation.
3. The plastic cooling system bits that age, crack, and leak - the freakin fender flares are indestructible even now - how about use some of that plastic?
4. The bumpers, see #3
5. The sunroof drain pans with all the holes in it - WTF?
6. The location of the ignition coils
7. The programming of the temperature gauge so it shows normal until it is too late to do anything other than change the headgasket.
8. Maybe we could put the driveshaft in here at this point, but at least it is easy to get to, relatively cheap, and gives audible warning before it blows up.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 432 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
By the time they realized it was a bad idea it was to late to go back and change it. Not that they would have anyway. Look on the bright side. At least you haven’t paid $70,000+ for a new D5 only to find the windshield leaks, electronics are crap, letters fall off after a few days and the dealerships don’t care. I can’t figure out for the life of me why anyone would buy a D5 after all the problems owners here have and what I hear from others.
Whoa, interesting. Not gonna lie, my wife and I see those and often wonder if they're worth getting for a comfy cruiser fam car. Maybe not.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Jeep = non serviceable drive shafts.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go all out and get a $550 heavy duty shaft from that guy in Utah .. GBR I think? Not sure. It's a big fat green driveshaft .. bigger than tom woods

Old 04-06-2019, 04:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Modern engineering standards and servicing/spares sales.

The same was asked of Volvo construction equipment when they made the steering knuckle bearings non serviceable on their articulated haul trucks :-(

Lots of new car designers are not drivers or enthusiasts at least so they see everything from a different POV then the accountants squeeze them some more and we end up with crap and buy aftermarket upgraded stuff to replace their junk.

Quick Reply: What was Land Rover thinking when they made an unserviceable u-joint?