Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What lift with ...? Long term planning!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
$200 for the old ones, that's sweet!

I might have to go with RTE's or OMEs.

I have been all over Terrafirma's website and according to the site, the don't make Pro Sport rear shocks and don't make a 3" lift as well

I noticed you used Terrafirma shocks with the RTE Coils. Did you use the All terrain +2 or the Pro Sport +3? Which shocks did you use for the rear?
cybercop I would not think twice about this if you want the best . I did all the research and settled for RTE 3inch and Bilstein custom valved Res Shocks. You are welcome to drive my Trek. I am local as you know. The height settles to 3inches in my case with RTE bumpers, winch, skidplate and spare on roof. I wish it was another 1/2 inch taller to be honest with you. The ride is perfect. Call Bill at RTE tell him you spoke to me. He will tell you everything you need. This is not just a spring and lift kit, the Watts link and several other things must be upgraded to get the ride and the height correct for optimal performance. The shock choice is a personal thing. I had GBR order and supply my Bilsteins. I would have chosen Fox Res as well.
David Frankel

Old 11-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

With my setup as seen in my signature I have 22" in the rear and 22.5" in front from center hub to the bottom of the wheel arch. Hope that helps.

Sorry for the parking lot photo.

Attached Thumbnails What lift with ...?  Long term planning!-image.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What else is needed besides Springs and Shocks? Did anyone put the D1 Spring retainer in as well?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
What else is needed besides Springs and Shocks? Did anyone put the D1 Spring retainer in as well?
If you're going to retain, get actual retainers. The d1 stock retainers bend.

The following users liked this post:
cybercop (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, that is what Justin at Lucky8 recommended as well. After discussing what the near term and long term goals for the truck were, he recommended I only do a 2" lift for now.

My daughter will be driving it for the next 2 years till she finished high school, then I am going to completely take it over and go wild with it.

Says a 3" lifted truck may not be the best thing for her to "learn" with, which I kind of agree with!

So 2" Terrafirma lift for now, steering dampner, spring retainers. Near future will be to get the front driveshaft replace and any other reliability upgrades needed. Then hopefully in 1 to 2 years, slowly going wild!

So, going mild for now! Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Good decision based on your Daughter. Congrats!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I went with OME MD with TF +2 shocks and it has severed me well for the past 3 yrs on moderate to aggressive trails and 70-30 on-road driving. I will be adding winch bumper and winch soon, so will add some spacers to even things out, and may go up a little at that point, but probably just level it out with the spacers. Not harsh at all on the road, but some of that is going to be your tires as well.

Use D1 coil springs seats/perches on the rear of the D2 to give you a little more lift in the rear, 1/2 inch or so. I have steel rear bumper that will be replaced with a Tactical Rovers rear bumper very soon, LR fuel tank skid, full SD rack, and rock sliders now and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 11-20-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
I went with OME MD with TF +2 shocks and it has severed me well for the past 3 yrs on moderate to aggressive trails and 70-30 on-road driving. I will be adding winch bumper and winch soon, so will add some spacers to even things out, and may go up a little at that point, but probably just level it out with the spacers. Not harsh at all on the road, but some of that is going to be your tires as well.

Use D1 coil springs seats/perches on the rear of the D2 to give you a little more lift in the rear, 1/2 inch or so. I have steel rear bumper that will be replaced with a Tactical Rovers rear bumper very soon, LR fuel tank skid, full SD rack, and rock sliders now and enjoy the ride.
Any luck with HLC?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default No HLC luck

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Any luck with HLC?
Never any response, but the voicemail message for Denny still works and proudly annouces HLC and to leave s msg. I have Tactical Rovers front and rear that should arrive the first week of Dec.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy

Sorry to hear that Tony, hope you didn't lose any money on it.

Quick Reply: What lift with ...? Long term planning!