Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrzingh
Hey guys,

I'm glad I found this forum, I have learned a ton of valuable information, thanks!

I've been in the market for a DII for about 6 months now, and have yet to find what I want: A 2004 discover SE7, white exterior, tan interior with the black piping with less than 80k miles for 12 grand. I'm beginning to become very impatient because I just can find one that meets the criteria. I find plenty of decent 03s but no SE7 04s. Here's what I'm currently looking at:

1. 2004 DiscoII HSE, black ext. w/tan leather, 56k mi. price: $15,995

2. 2003 DiscoII HSE7, black ext. w/tan leather, 85k mi. price: $10,999
***this 03 is not in oil pump failure range

3. 2004 DiscoII HSE, silver ext. w/tan leather, 61k mi. price: $12,500

Assming they were all in the same mechanical/cosmetic condition, what would you guys do? Are the HSE much nicer than the SE? Please help because I need a new vehicle asap.

Thanks a million!
-Akash
1. $15,995 is way too much.

2. $12,500 is too much for an 03 even if it is out of the death range.

3. It seems to be the best out of the three, but of course it's hard to say since I haven't seen them in person. I still wouldn't want to pay more than $10,000 for it. Remember they are gas guzzlers and the economy is in the tank.

It takes patience and time to find the right one for the right price. I didn't buy the first one that I saw. I probably looked a six before I found mine.

If I am not mistaken the HSE has rear parking sensors, GPS, and different rims but everything else is pretty much the same when compared to the SE. The SD is the stripped version no leather, no wood inside, no fog lights, different rims, cheaper radio with less speakers, bumpers not color matched, and sometimes no sunroofs.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by honda50r
Three amigos (will these be on during driving?), front driveshaft, and head gaskets are the main bad guys, correct? I'm somewhat scared after reading this overload of info, thanks Spike and other Rover masterminds.
The three amigos are very loyal they will be with you all the time and won't go away unless you take care of the problem. Yes, I would say that the head gaskets and front drive shaft are the main bad guys but the drive shaft can be corrected for about $200 even less if you rebuilt it yourself. The key with the drive shaft after it gets rebuilt is to grease the grease fittings at every oil change interval.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
This is a very common question and also a very good one.

The Discovery series one (DI) ran from 1989-1999, US models from 1994-1999.
Pre-1996 models have the 3.9L V8 with a distributor, all models after that have the 4.0L engine and electronic ignition.
There are thee trim levels and all had the 7 passenger option.
Common DI problems are as follows.
Sunroofs not working due to bad tracks.
Power windows not working due to a bad window regulator, easy fix.
Rear windows not working due to a cracked window lift ECU, easy fix.
Power door lock actuators not working, easy fix.
ABS light staying on, could be a bad wheel speed sensor or a bad ABS modulator. Could be expensive or free to fix.
Center Differential Lock (CDL) lever being seized due to lack of use.
Cargo door not opening from the out side, pop the LR emblem off and lube it with silicone spray.

The Discovery series II (DII) ran from 1999.5-2004.
The 2003 and 2004 model years have the 4.6L V8.
1999.5-early 2001 have the CDL as well as the 2004.
The DII also came in three trim levels and all had the 7 passenger option.
The 2003 has potential oil pump problems and the only fix is a new engine.
Common DII problems are as follows.
Power windows not working due to bad window regulators, easy fix.
Power door locks not working due to bad lock actuators, easy fix.
The cranks shaft sensor (CKS) going bad.
The throttle body heater plate leaking, easy fix.
Head gaskets going bad, change your coolant every 2 years and you can help avoid this.
The front driveshaft MUST be rebuilt using greasable u-joints, if you dont you WILL be buying a new transmission. ($7,000)
The "3 amigos", that is the Hill Decent Control (HDC), ABS and Traction Control (TC) lights all being on at the same time.
The Self Leveling Suspension (SLS) going flat.
The Secondary Air Injection (SAI) pump can be noisy, clean the air filter to it every 6 months.
The Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) is very reliable and a good option.

All model years require premium gas, you can expect 12-14 MPG in the city and 16-18 MPG on the expressway.
www.roverlandparts.com is a good used parts supplier.
www.atlanticbritish.com is a great new parts supplier.
Go to AtlanticBritish and find the "tech tips" page and read up on them, print the pages that pertain to you, like "how to reset the HVAC from C* to F*"

Do your research.
www.edmunds.com
www.NADA.com
www.KBB.com
Test drive many, dont buy the first one that you come across.

I have a early 2001, how do I know if I have one with the CDL in it???

Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Clean

I have a early 2001, how do I know if I have one with the CDL in it???

If it has the CDL option, it will have a plate retained by three bolts, with a stud/nut in the center on the top, just to the left of the front output flange. You can see it in this picture: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-39066446675134_2193_426844

From memory, I believe the transfer case model number will also tell you (41D or 42D), but you have to crawl under the vehicle to get the model#, so while down there, you might as well feel for the center stud/nut on the plate.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
4wd High

Thanks for the information!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
5th Gear

I have a 99 d1 my dash doesn't say premium fuel neither does the lid or cap they just say unleaded, is premium recommended by LR?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny1983
I have a 99 d1 my dash doesn't say premium fuel neither does the lid or cap they just say unleaded, is premium recommended by LR?
Of course your dash does not say premium fuel only, but your owners manual does.
And no it is not recommended, it is REQUIRED per Land Rover.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
5th Gear

Sorry I meant required lol. Also I was asking because when I had a couple turbo cars the dash and lid both said premium only so I wasn't sure. Thanks though.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No worries. Its only a extra $5 per fill up from empty to run premium.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Mudding

I would also suggest a checking account with funds equal to or greater than the value of the vehicle and a heated garage to work on the vehicle. We have learned this valuable lesson with our 2003 Discovery one prior owner vehicle.

Bought the vehicle with a 121 K miles with NO codes or LIGHTS on dash, well maintained with with service records. Cannot go wrong you would think for our first Land Rover.

As soon as we started our high miles service, various little problems with the major issues being the ABS going south (new solenoid pack), a rear axle seal goes, the condenser fan (one month after purchase), viscous fan (four months after purchase), water pump (five months after purchase) and now the radiator and the power steering lines need attention this summer (will be replacing out the remaining coolant hoses (top hose bleed screw broke during the water pump replacement), 180 degree gray thermostat & switching to G12++ from DEX). Every piece of plastic in the engine bay breaks if you stare at it or touch it.

Always seems to need attention during the coldest day or most inclement weather.

2003 Discovery with high miles service complete 126 K.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery