Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to lube!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's their favorite?

Originally Posted by lipadj46
So do I but I got slammed for it over on an oil forum.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't figure it out there are so many different greases for different applications. That and also everyone has their favorite and the anonymity provided by the internet turns everyone's inner douche up a couple notches. I still say as long as you a) know you have to grease your u-joints b) know how to grease them properly and c) grease them every oil change (or more if you are into any sort of severe duty) then you could use regular old lithium type 2 grease and be fine.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I can't figure it out there are so many different greases for different applications. That and also everyone has their favorite and the anonymity provided by the internet turns everyone's inner douche up a couple notches. I still say as long as you a) know you have to grease your u-joints b) know how to grease them properly and c) grease them every oil change (or more if you are into any sort of severe duty) then you could use regular old lithium type 2 grease and be fine.
I agree!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, any grease is better than none, so what ever you do it is going to benefit the Rover. And if you go tinto a routine then the better off you are.

So many owners who do their own maintenence do not always grease like thay are supposed to, the job, kids, wife, dog, TV, ect, all get more attention when it comes to the finer details.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 PM
TReK

I just bought a Tom Woods driveshaft and I figure the $350 investment will motivate me to keep up the maintenance. Plus the grease fitting on the TW driveshafts are on the ends of the u-joints which make them easier to get to. Also for people with TW driveshafts there is a grease fitting on the centering pivot, it requires you remove that end of the driveshaft and grease it with a needle. This is a twice a year type thing and extra hardcore points to those who do it.

I'm going to rebuild my old driveshaft and sell it or keep it as a spare if my TW ever has to go back for repair.

Last edited by lipadj46; 09-06-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

...for people with TW driveshafts there is a grease fitting on the centering pivot, it requires you remove that end of the driveshaft and grease it with a needle. This is a twice a year type thing and extra hardcore points to those who do it.
You should not need to remove your driveshaft to grease it.
Just move the truck a couple of inches and that grease point will move and be more accessible.
Thats what i do, if my grease fittings are on top then I move the truck a inch, look under it, move it again, look under it...until the grease zerks are pointing down.
EDIT:all 3 grease zerks on my front DS are on one side and all 3 on my rear DS are opposite the front to help keep things balanced.

Last edited by Spike555; 09-07-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Winching

the centering ball on the TW does seem VERY hard to get too.

the other grease fittings are a breeze.

is the centering ball hard to get to with stock shafts?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead

is the centering ball hard to get to with stock shafts?
The stock DS does NOT have grease fittings on a DII, that is why they explode and destroy your transmission.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Winching

even on the TW, the centering ball does not have a fitting AFAIK. you have to use a needle to get to it.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
You should not need to remove your driveshaft to grease it.
Just move the truck a couple of inches and that grease point will move and be more accessible.
I'm talking about the needle grease fitting on the centering ball. The joint opens up when it is facing up and when it is positioned where you can reach it the joint is all closed up. I'm not even sure most people know about this one on their Tom Woods driveshaft. Many centering ***** are non greaseable even the ones you get to rebuild a driveshaft (the one in the how-to document floating around).

Quick Reply: what to lube!!!