Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Might Cause The Transmission To.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default What Might Cause The Transmission To.....

Overheat?

I posted a similar post about this a little while back and since then I have changed the transmission filter which was in horrible shape. Hoping that would fix my problem. It seems to have helped but after a extended period the red light on the dashboard will still come on.

I don't really want answers like 'Take it to a transmission shop' or things like that. I want advice on what to check and look for that might be causing my problem.

Thanks-

Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: What Might Cause The Transmission To.....

Take it to a shop and have them check the trans temp sending unit.
Sorry, I couldnt resist.
The wiring to the trans temp sending unit can get cooked and send a bad signal.
That is where I would start.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well We drove around until the Temp light came on tonight...stopped got out and used my DMM with temp probe to check the temp of the transmission pan (in a couple different places). The highest reading we got was 55*C which is 131*F. now I realize the pan will read lower than the actual fluid...so say we go crazy stupid and ad 30*C to that to make it 85*C that is still only 185*F. Chris mentioned that he was told as long as the temp isn't over 121*C (249.8*F) that the tranny is most likely fine and to look at other suspect things...At this point I am leaning toward what you said spike about it being the Tempurature Sending unit (Sensor) that is bad.

Anyone else have any input to add?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: JEFFSGTP

Well We drove around until the Temp light came on tonight...stopped got out and used my DMM with temp probe to check the temp of the transmission pan (in a couple different places). The highest reading we got was 55*C which is 131*F. now I realize the pan will read lower than the actual fluid...so say we go crazy stupid and ad 30*C to that to make it 85*C that is still only 185*F. Chris mentioned that he was told as long as the temp isn't over 121*C (249.8*F) that the tranny is most likely fine and to look at other suspect things...At this point I am leaning toward what you said spike about it being the Tempurature Sending unit (Sensor) that is bad.

Anyone else have any input to add?
Also, on top of what Jeff posted above the truck was only sitting for 5-10 minutes tops while we were taking the reading, and when I got back in the truck to drive home from his house to mine the light had already gone off. Not to mention it was a good 15 mile drive at 60mph back to my house and it never came back on.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Drifting

Not to piggyback again but the highest reading we got was at the end of that time frame. we started checking right after we stopped. The highest reading came from placing the probe inside the drain plug...theoretically I think that should be the most accurate as the plug does stick up in the pan allowing more surface area for the fluid to contact...that combined with using the inside of the plug shielding it from cross wind (breeze) running under the truck. Oh and relative outside tempurature was 55*F.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want to find out for sure, get a tranny shop to plug in a read all the tranny functions as well as the temp, and don't tell us how you don't want to go have someone who knows what they are doing check/fix it. It has been 3 days and you are no closer to a fix.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No, actually it's been like this since August, and we're quite capable of doing whatever needs to be done to fix the problem on our own. It is'nt like we hav'nt rebuilt a transmission before.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: Street Wolf

No, actually it's been like this since August, and we're quite capable of doing whatever needs to be done to fix the problem on our own. It is'nt like we hav'nt rebuilt a transmission before.
If you knew anything about trannys, and this has been happening since August, you would know not to allow it to run hot.
Not sure what your experience with ZF trannies is but by your question you sound very limited with your knowledge of how to trouble shoot/repair your problem.
If you know what you are doing, why so many questions??

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Our experience with GM vehicles, engines and trannies is extensive...an auto trans is an auto trans when it comes to tear down and rebuild of the mechanicals...and we are more than capable of doing that. WHAT ISN'T the same is how each manufacturer does the electronics side of things...I.E. trouble shooting etc. We come on to a forum for brainstorming and all you people want to do is say take it to a trannyshop...well since the nearest dealership or shop that works on L.R. trannies is DALLAS...ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! Seariously how do you people mod these things or fix them yourselves....or maybe all of you make **** tons of money and can afford to take every little issue to the dealer.

Thanks for all the help...you've been great Mike[:'(][:'(][:'(]

Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JEFFSGTP

Our experience with GM vehicles, engines and trannies is extensive...an auto trans is an auto trans when it comes to tear down and rebuild of the mechanicals...and we are more than capable of doing that. WHAT ISN'T the same is how each manufacturer does the electronics side of things...I.E. trouble shooting etc. We come on to a forum for brainstorming and all you people want to do is say take it to a trannyshop...well since the nearest dealership or shop that works on L.R. trannies is DALLAS...ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! Seariously how do you people mod these things or fix them yourselves....or maybe all of you make **** tons of money and can afford to take every little issue to the dealer.

Thanks for all the help...you've been great Mike[:'(][:'(][:'(]

what do you mean by "all you people"???

Quick Reply: What Might Cause The Transmission To.....