Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Thor without his mighty hammer: Tornado Systems ECU chip upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:21 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I will be shipping my ecu to the UK very shortly for the upgrand. I will post updates when available.

As for regearing, Im not found of going that route with my truck. But i will consder all my options. Yes big beefy tires and other common modifications to the truck can decrease the performance of these trucks. My main point here is that even when bone stock, these trucks (or at least my truck) performs less than satisfactory when going up hills or trying to pass someone. I will start with the Tornado Systems chip, note any changes in performance and go from there. As for my beefy mud terrains, they have served me well but Im switchibg to BFGoodrich K02's. These all terrains should make on road travel a little easier on my truck. Will be same size tires.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Let me know how this turned out. I had been talking to Mark for quite awhile about setting up a group buy for us. When it came time to do it everybody backed out. I would have still went through with it but my truck is in pieces right now for head gaskets. I still want to do this one day though. Which of the three tunes are you going with?

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I would make sure to get a baseline pull on a dump before the tune. Yes there are 4wd dynos Then dyno again after the tune to track any real gains.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 PM
TReK
Default Transmission

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would make sure to get a baseline pull on a dump before the tune. Yes there are 4wd dynos Then dyno again after the tune to track any real gains.
I do not understand what you meant with this, could you please explain?

Im sure you read and understand the reasons behind my interest in a chip upgrade. But for awhile now ive been thinking about other possiable variables that could be causing less than satisfactory performance while ascending hills and or passing motorists on the highway. Could a delayed time in the transmission be the problem here? Seeing how my D2 is an automatic transmission, might it be possible that the transmission is not changing gears when the appropriate rpms are reached? And thus causing the engine to lose power and speed as it attempts to ascend a hill or pass a motorist? I have observed that sometimes while going up hills or attempting to pick up speed from say 35mph to 50mph that the rpm meter will soar right up to the 12:00 position despite the fact that i was not applying full force to the gas. Whenever this happens i tend to release all pressure from the pedal until the roms drop back down and feel normal. Is this normal? This is an occasional occurance and ive noticed it since i first got the truck back in late 2012. I changed the transmission filter, gasket and fluid within last 2 years.

Might this be a sign of a failing transmission or is this normal? Might a chip and tuned ecu change the way the transmission changes gear by altering signal somehow?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

If your transmission is slipping or otherwise has issues, a tune making more power is only going to finish it off faster. It's unlikely to provide any improvement.

If your transmission doesn't seem to want to change gears like you're expecting it should you might have a bad MAF. I've heard reports of them causing shifting weirdness.

TRIARII (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 10:18 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by thesoundguru
Let me know how this turned out. I had been talking to Mark for quite awhile about setting up a group buy for us. When it came time to do it everybody backed out. I would have still went through with it but my truck is in pieces right now for head gaskets. I still want to do this one day though. Which of the three tunes are you going with?
Thanks for the info. Im delighted that im not the only member who knows about Tornado Systems and is considering their products. Unfortunately Mark is very slow in responding to emails. I have some questions I need answered before I invest in this and have my truck disabled again.

From what i could tell on there website catolog, there are only 1-2 chips available for my truck. One for D2s with a 4.0 and the other fir the Thor 4.6. Mark did ask me if i had a 4.0 converted to a 4.6 or uf ut came from factory with 4.6. The questions I have are more about what level of tuning to be done. Interestingly they also sell MAF sensors that appear to be genuine and cheaper than units sold here in US. I may add one to my order

Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
If your transmission is slipping or otherwise has issues, a tune making more power is only going to finish it off faster. It's unlikely to provide any improvement.
If your transmission doesn't seem to want to change gears like you're expecting it should you might have a bad MAF. I've heard reports of them causing shifting weirdness.

Yes. Of course the performance of my transmission was a question, not a fact. Honestly I cant tell if its changing gears the way it was designed or if its on its way out. Ill get a second opinion from Don.

New MAF will be included with my chip.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

sorry missed the auto correct on the one word dump=dyno. take it to a dyno and see what you are making at the wheels (horsepower and torque at the wheels) before the tornado tune. then do it again afterwards to see what the actual gains are.

I think you are describing the trans kicking down a gear, to get into the power band, like downshifting a manual trans.

In the end I think the tune might show minor gains, but not a significant amount. Re-gearing is going to show the most drastic improvement.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Which of the three tunes are you going with?
Please note that the programming can be biased towards economy, performance, or a happy medium between the two, according to your preference.
Three tunes available.

despite the fact that i was not applying full force to the gas.
I think you are describing the trans kicking down a gear, to get into the power band, like downshifting a manual trans.
My thoughts also.

To the metal not required to get trans to downshift if that's what it's doing. Much less pedal/pressure will result in downshift or may do it going up a grade with cruise one.

Last edited by number9; 07-10-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Julian...to be clear, the video you posted was a Td5 being chipped, which is night and day compared to a V8. A V8 does not have a turbo that can be played with to increase power. A tuned Td5 will blow away a Rover V8. The chip is for the most part, a waste of money, unless you're just trying to spend the money

coors (07-11-2016)

Quick Reply: What is Thor without his mighty hammer: Tornado Systems ECU chip upgrade