Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Thor without his mighty hammer: Tornado Systems ECU chip upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:29 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Julian...to be clear, the video you posted was a Td5 being chipped, which is night and day compared to a V8. A V8 does not have a turbo that can be played with to increase power. A tuned Td5 will blow away a Rover V8. The chip is for the most part, a waste of money, unless you're just trying to spend the money
Yes im fully aware that the engine in that video is a TD5 but thanks for reminding me.

What is your experience with performance chips on your Rover V8 and what were the specs before and after the tuning? It would appear that Tornado chips like Turner engines are a rareity here in the states. Less folks really know much about them. Im hoping that Mark will be able to provide some more info on the subject. Turner did refer me to them so.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:39 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

From Tornado Systems website:

"Here are the details of the standard Tornado Motronic upgrade. Please note that the programming can be biased towards economy, performance, or a happy medium between the two, according to your preference.

The Bosch engine is mapped in such a way that it produces maximum power when it hits the Rev Limiter, which is set at 5400 RPM. At this point the mixture is rather rich, but the ignition timing is fine for best power production.

Therefore the peak power will not improve more than 2-4 BHP with any upgrade, unless the Rev Limiter is moved up to say 6000 RPM. Although I could do this and the power is still increasing when it hits the Rev Limiter, it would be something of a “smoke and mirrors” improvement. Power increases here are largely academic, since the vehicle will change gear long before this limit is reached.

However the dominant characteristic is actually a huge hole in the torque curve, centred around 3000 RPM. This is filled in very well with the upgrade, delivering an extra 10-15 lb/ft of torque and much faster throttle response. Economy improvement is 10-15%.

When driving a standard vehicle it actually pulls away from a standing start quite well initially, but loses interest once it gets to 3000 RPM. Personally we find this trait especially annoying, and it doesn’t even sound like a V8 either!

The only real pain with the upgrade is that we have to have the ECU here at Tornado HQ for therapy, which of course means that you would be without use of your vehicle for a couple days at best as you are in the UK. This is necessary because each individual ECU has a unique identity, which is combined with the vehicle identity to produce the software image.

Please notify us before you send it (if you decide to do so), so that I can ensure it is returned the same day by arrangement.

Once the software has been extracted from your ECU, it can cloned in future if you should ever lose or damage your original. However, if it gets lost on the way up then it would be necessary to have a new one installed and programmed using TestBook or RovaCom – expensive hassle you don’t need!

Before attempting any upgrade, I would just say that we treat the stock MAF as a consumable. If it has covered more than 80-90K Miles then it should really be replaced. These systems are very sensitive to original Bosch components, so you should never use any kind of pattern part with them"

Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Julian...to be clear, the video you posted was a Td5 being chipped, which is night and day compared to a V8. A V8 does not have a turbo that can be played with to increase power. A tuned Td5 will blow away a Rover V8. The chip is for the most part, a waste of money, unless you're just trying to spend the money
This is simply not true. I read a testimonial regarding a chipped P38 with the V8:

Project P38: ECU Re-Map by Tornado Chips ? ROAD MAGAZINE & BLOG

Don't let anyone talk you out of a ECU remap. It's the single, greatest improvement/mod that can be made to the stock engine. Even upgrading the camshaft/valve train/air flow is useless without the remap.

Another first hand account:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-r...ge=2&_k=up23hh

"We've got two P38's both GEMS, both running Mark Adams Tornado chips. We had one chipped before we did the 2nd one and driving them back to back there was a notable difference between the two. Nothing huge but enough to be noticeable. Economy wise I've no idea what the difference was as I've never monitored the economy but torque wise you could feel it."

"A mate of mine recently had the Mark Adams remap done to his Thor ECU and I can vouch that his P38 now leaves mine for dead.
I am seriously considering getting it for my 4.0, 4.6 or both."

Mark Adams personally addresses questions on the Tornado remap:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...?t=598115&i=40

Last edited by chubbs878; 03-02-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

How did this upgrade turn out and what was the cost?