Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are those bolts sticking out???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are those bolts sticking out???

Ok, so in an effort to make the Disco a little more (off) road wothy, I just took the running boards off. Looks better already! After I was done, there were still 4 bolts sticking out from the bottom of my Disco (http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...o/DSC06378.jpg). I can't imagine those are there on a car that did not come with the running boards... They can be unscrewed, but it is like the chassis is bolted onto the frame as well on those 4 points... Does anybody haveexperience with this?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Winching
Default RE: What are those bolts sticking out???

lol. that connects to your body "bushings." No clue why it comes down that far. It is where you would install the body lift if you put one on.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Rock Crawling

That sounds like: Unscrew, start driving, brake, slide the chassis off the frame... [sm=badidea.gif]

Although on this picture http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...o/DSC06379.jpgYou can see the top of where that bolt comes through. It almost looks like the thick bolt in the first picture screws onto this bolt, but if I turn the big one, I can feel this one move too. Maybe they're stuck together. Still, if I would take the big one of I would need to replace it with another smaller nut to prevent the foregoing... Sounds right?

Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Winching

Taking a second look. I have those pieces and that extraordinary long nut in a bag that the previous owner had in the trunk. I think maybe it connects to the front mud flap. See if you can take it off and see if there is still a bolt sticking out at the top, it will be the bolt that hold the frame to the body with a black bushing in between. You don't want that bolt removed. From my understanding the Extrlong nut hold the bolt to the frame to that bolt that is sticking out. To what, I don't know. but see if you can remove those pieces.

I'm tired, sorry if the post didn't make sense.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Mudding

off topic are you selling the running boards?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes. The plan was to put them on eBay... Are you interested? Shipping to Miami may be a bit $$ though... I will take them to my office sometime before the end of this week and pack them up, so I can figure out the weight and dims to calculate shipping costs. Also,I assume anybody interested would want to see some pictures... I will take those sometime this week too. Work sometimes just gets in the way of pleasure... [&:]

I will take of those parts and replace them with another nut to prevent the "stop-n-slide" experience. Not that a whole Rover would only be connected to its frame by 4 little bolts, but you know... Rather safe than sorry! Thanks for your help! Obviously more thoughts are always welcome!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Mudding

yea get some pics up and let me know the cost of shipping

Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those "extra" long bolts, are the mounts for the running boards Or side steps as we know them. They are fitted when the side steps are. They screw onto the same place as the body mounting. You need to remove them and replace the nut that "should" be there above them.

Selling your running boards to someone else without those mounts, makes them worthless as they would have no way to mount them

Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

So now that you have the runnung boards off, when do the sliders get installed?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

UP is correct. There should be a smaller version of the bolts on the under side of the running boards. IIRC, the longer bolts screw into the shorter ones. The long ones are basically extensions to what was already there.

Quick Reply: What are those bolts sticking out???