Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is what under here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Yes, twisting is acceptable...you don't want any up and down movement in the joint/socket. It usually works best to jack the front end up (use jack stands) and "unload" the front end parts...easier to feel movement with weight of truck off pivot points. Grasp your front tires, front and back...check for movement, then top and bottom...check for excessive movement. Take a long pry bar and lift tire, while some one else watches ball joints for up/down movement. If everything is good, the axle and tire should move together.

Rotate your tires, you may have a bad belt in one...causing wobble.

At what speed are you getting your wobble?

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 05-31-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Yes, twisting is acceptable...you don't want any up and down movement in the joint/socket. It usually works best to jack the front end up (use jack stands) and "unload" the front end parts...easier to feel movement with weight of truck off pivot points. Grasp your front tires, front and back...check for movement, then top and bottom...check for excessive movement. Take a long pry bar and lift tire, while some one else watches ball joints for up/down movement. If everything is good, the axle and tire should move together.

Rotate your tires, you may have a bad belt in one...causing wobble.

At what speed are you getting your wobble?

Brian.
Thanks Brian, I did jack it up but from the axel. One on each side of differential. Where do you suggest I jack it up from?

and could you explain where to lift the tire with the pry bar? Between wheel spokes?

The worst of it honestly is at uphill slow speeds, around 1000-1500 rpm/ 15 or 20 mph. It feels like the wobble comes back around with each rotation of the tires, like a bent bike wheel when you’re riding it down the street. Like it catches and then releases if that makes sense. I feel it especially on the front drivers side, could be wrong though. Other than that it’s definately present at higher speeds too 50+ mph. My tires are fairly new mud terrains with only about 10k on them. I’ll look at them again but I don’t expect there to be any bulges.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:29 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

You could rotate the tires, to try to elimanate a bad tire or wheel..if the problem moves, or goes away because it's no longer a steered wheel.

The following users liked this post:
TaylorCadence (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 12:05 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
You could rotate the tires, to try to elimanate a bad tire or wheel..if the problem moves, or goes away because it's no longer a steered wheel.
When I jack it up again for further inspection I'll swap the wheels around. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2018, 03:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Jacking the truck up by the axles is perfect...you want the tire about an inch or two off the ground. Put the long pry bar between the bottom of the tire and the ground/garage floor. Lift the outer edge of the prybar, while someone else watches for movement in ball joints (up and down movement).

I'd rotate those tires, wheel weights fall off all the time, especially if you go wheeling often.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
TaylorCadence (06-01-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Mudding

Put the long pry bar between the bottom of the tire and the ground/garage floor. Lift the outer edge of the prybar, while someone else watches for movement in ball joints (up and down movement).
just did this today and sure enough drivers side upper and lower ball joints have play. Think I’ve found my wobble, thanks for the tip Deputy.

Now, do you recommend a quality replacement lol?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:25 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Jacking the truck up by the axles is perfect...you want the tire about an inch or two off the ground. Put the long pry bar between the bottom of the tire and the ground/garage floor. Lift the outer edge of the prybar, while someone else watches for movement in ball joints (up and down movement).

I'd rotate those tires, wheel weights fall off all the time, especially if you go wheeling often.

Brian.
X1 ............. agreed.

Also get the helper to 'feel' any movement in any joints.

Get the wheel balance checked PDQ as it ruins the ball ends sooner or later.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Get the wheel balance checked PDQ as it ruins the ball ends sooner or later.
And to do this after I pop in the new joints?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Camel Trophy

Have them balance while you are doing the ball joints. Badly/unbalance tires ruin ball joints over time...especially if shocks are worn...and shocks will become tired of all the extra movement/vibration/wobble after a while and fail, too.

I've not bought any ball joints for my rovers, yet, so I have no recommendations. But, I would assume any of the well known suppliers (rovers north, lucky8, British atlantic, etc) would have something of good quality.

Brian.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Couple of my weights have fallen off as well.

I came across solution which looks rather interesting! Not sure if I am motivated enough to have them installed though.

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop?...balancer-eqfxd

Quick Reply: What is what under here?