Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause exhaust to come out the oil filler hole?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

just a note here for those of us with the same problem.....that little plastic piece can be a real headache....I found a cheap and easy solution and it MAY already be in your tool box....all that plastic widget does is provide a medium for the oil vapors to collect on so that the oil will run back down into the valve cover and the fumes will continue on.....here's the fix.... after you get the plastic out.... get one of those green Scotch brite pads we use for other clean up jobs, cut a small piece so it fits in the hole but not so that it blocks the air flow....works great, costs almost nothing, at tune up time throw it out and make another one.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cleaned out the PCV from the valve cover to the plenum the other day and HOLY CRAP, i can't believe what I was missing! It idles smoother and accelerates like a champ! Couldn't get that stupid oil separator off and I was afraid to break it without having a new one handy, but if I can use the Scotch fix it would save some time and $$$.

I assume this trick will translate to a DII without tripping the 3 Amigos?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea. I stuck my new separator in & can't believe it wont get stuck again. I took off the rocker cover Disassembled it & cleaned it to new condition & it made a world of difference. I'm not completely sure how this happened, but my transmission is shifting much smoother now. Almost makes me think I should remove & clean the other cover too!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

what does the oil separator look like? or where is it located?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:43 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by christianmotox
what does the oil separator look like? or where is it located?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, so to access it i need to remove the valve cover right? its a good excuse to get in there and clean it.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no, it is under the pass side pcv hose. In the metal tube it connects to. spray a little carb cleaner in first.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

Hello, have a question in reference to the PCV/oil separator.. I have a 99 DII, 4.0, SE7, with 132K... I am getting oil seeping out of the separator line up by the intake, I noticed it because the threaded fitting was not very snug... Should oil be getting that far up? Is this normal?

I did take the hose off and inspected the separator itself, and it appears to be fine (no build up), and the hoses are not kinked. I figured it was relevant to ask in this post. If I'm incorrect in that assumption, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ARHMogul
Hello, have a question in reference to the PCV/oil separator.. I have a 99 DII, 4.0, SE7, with 132K... I am getting oil seeping out of the separator line up by the intake, I noticed it because the threaded fitting was not very snug... Should oil be getting that far up? Is this normal?

I did take the hose off and inspected the separator itself, and it appears to be fine (no build up), and the hoses are not kinked. I figured it was relevant to ask in this post. If I'm incorrect in that assumption, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!
I think it's normal for some oil to make it past the separator.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by christianmotox
Thanks, so to access it i need to remove the valve cover right? its a good excuse to get in there and clean it.
I had to remove my valve cover because my separator broke when I tried to pull it out. I didn't spray it with carb cleaner first. If it breaks, then you have to take off the cover & knock out the separator from behind.

Quick Reply: What would cause exhaust to come out the oil filler hole?