Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what was your first vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: what was your first vehicle?

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

ORIGINAL: snowdude

Im thinking maybe Tech school, im not in college yet. i know i could get tech school free, being a direct descendant native American, but that's totally against everything i believe in, (im a hardcore libertarian). actually owning this truck and seeing how much i enjoy tinkering with it, has made me think about something automotive. still thinking something environmental, or architecture.

edit: i could afford a pretty nice Ferrari with the college tuition grandma and grandpa left behind for me
Go architecture!
Im playing the "wait for the acceptance letters" game... its killing me,
But im thinking about going to a private school (High Point Univ.)and then going to Clemson for Grad school, they have a MRED program (Masters of Real Estate Development) and thats like spot on to what I want to do as a career.

buthey, if you do architecture I could hire you and we could have a Developer/architect/Rover alliance.
You down with designing a Rover off road course and Lodge???

haha good luck with everything!

Ive always think of building a premier modern off road, sportsmen lodge. I've already made i course on our property north of town, 3.2m loop on hilly/wooded/swamp land. it serves in the winter as a XC ski trail, speaking of that i have to go groom them now. Anyways, i was thinking of UWSP, or UWGB, id really like to continue living here, and have no rent, both those schools are a 25 min commute, plus i have families in both cities. Im going to start narrowing down and touring in summer. ive always been very intrested in land devolpment, i play sim city constantly... l0l.

Where you wanna build the lodge? In NC? or northern Wisconsin? (you get the chicago yuppie income here).

How about somthing like this?

Name:  PICT0170.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  51.5 KB

Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At age 13 I was told "Cam, you're getting the van when you're 16..."
I was not about to let that happen! So I went out and became a soccer ref and saved every penny I made for three years, worked almost every sat. during the soccer season.
At 16 I found my Disco for $8000 dollars, I paid $7000 and my parents threw in $1000.
My disco has been great, Its my child and I dont think I will ever sell it!
I want to go all over with it one day, when I have a job and make more money of course.
I'm 18 now and I will be heading off to college next year, and I trust that my disco will get me there and back! Its taught me sooooo much about owning a vehicle and its turned me into a total LAND ROVER ENTHUSIAST for life.
Cameron, you sound like a hell of a guy. I learned (mistakenly) also when I was 13 that I could only depend on myself in life, and I too got a job. My first car was a $250 Chevy '84 S-10 which allowed me to get a slightly better job (outside of walking distance), and a month later, I used my savings for the past few years to buy a '96 Monte Carlo LS. I was 16 then (2002), and I had the car up until early 2007 when it became simply ridiculous to own. I couldn't bear to sell it or trade it in, so I parked it and just walked to the dealer to pick up a Jeep that I had bought. I spent many nights in that car... had 280k miles on it by the time I sold it. It's so funny now, because I just turned 23, and I make the amount of money that my Monte Carlo cost me in about 1.5 weeks of "..work.." (maybe 20 hours, total); the irony being that I WORKED for years to buy that car, and even harder to keep it well.

Hopefully on a forum full of car nuts people will not think me weird for having named the car... Dorina. I didn't do much to it- blackouts for the head and tail lights and dark tint all the way around (the body was black... I thought it looked cool).

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I miss the car, but I am happy to have moved beyond the stage of life where I had to depend on my car so much. It is fun reflecting back on... but many a tear was shed onto the crisp, oft-conditioned leather steering wheel of my '96 Monte Carlo. Many an uncertain night was spent huddled in the back seat under a sleeping bag. I think I put more money into oil additives, fuel injector cleaners, leather conditioner, car polish, and car washes than I did into food and clothes during high school.

Oh, those were the days. Okay... getting too long... attached is a picture or two of Dori the day before we drove her off to her final resting place (or at least close to it). Sorry if this became a sentimental blur... ignore it if you wish!

adios dudes.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Snowdude-You know about the LR off road driving scools dont you?
http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Ow...nfoBlockLink_3

Old 01-09-2009, 09:50 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Snowdude-You know about the LR off road driving scools dont you?
http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Ow...nfoBlockLink_3

or you can try the sloppy method of off roading,,,

when in doubt, do it anyways.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Im thinking maybe Tech school, im not in college yet. i know i could get tech school free, being a direct descendant native American, but that's totally against everything i believe in, (im a hardcore libertarian). actually owning this truck and seeing how much i enjoy tinkering with it, has made me think about something automotive. still thinking something environmental, or architecture.

edit: i could afford a pretty nice Ferrari with the college tuition grandma and grandpa left behind for me
Go architecture!
Im playing the "wait for the acceptance letters" game... its killing me,
But im thinking about going to a private school (High Point Univ.)and then going to Clemson for Grad school, they have a MRED program (Masters of Real Estate Development) and thats like spot on to what I want to do as a career.

buthey, if you do architecture I could hire you and we could have a Developer/architect/Rover alliance.
You down with designing a Rover off road course and Lodge???

haha good luck with everything!

Ive always think of building a premier modern off road, sportsmen lodge. I've already made i course on our property north of town, 3.2m loop on hilly/wooded/swamp land. it serves in the winter as a XC ski trail, speaking of that i have to go groom them now. Anyways, i was thinking of UWSP, or UWGB, id really like to continue living here, and have no rent, both those schools are a 25 min commute, plus i have families in both cities. Im going to start narrowing down and touring in summer. ive always been very intrested in land devolpment, i play sim city constantly... l0l.

Where you wanna build the lodge? In NC? or northern Wisconsin? (you get the chicago yuppie income here).

How about somthing like this?

There ya go! I like that, anythings that has rock siding or log siding is perfect for a lodge.
If I could build anywhere... hmmm thats a though choice! I like anywhere with mtns, where I live every developer gets attacked by hippies so I would go far far away from Asheville. Maybe Nashville TN, there are a TON of sportman type people there, and they are about the friendliest people you'll ever meet!

Here my dream lodge, picture this with muddyLand Rovers out front and an awesome course out back!

Name:  PeaksLodge_large.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  165.2 KB

Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my 69 Nissan patrol that I am working on.

Willie

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/IR4NW7vF

Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a pretty cool project Willie. Looks like Nissan stole Toyota's plan for the Land Cruiser and put their name on it.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been a slow project. It is hard to find parts for it.
I don't know who had a 4 wheel drive first. Here is a picture of a 50's Nissan Patrol.

Willie

[IMG]local://upfiles/4274/8EA28E9FB82444B19129A16587EE6526.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That is a sweet project, you gotta love the straight 6.
I think the straght 6 is the best way to build a engine.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I love straight-6 engines. My parents had a Mercedes with a straight-8 a while back. That engine was about a mile and a half long, and weighed about as much a compact car.

Quick Reply: what was your first vehicle?