Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts on a Voyager Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What are your thoughts on a Voyager Roof Rack

Does anybody have any experience with the Voyager Roof Rack on a DII?
http://www.roverracks.com/DIIVR.htm
There is a possibility I may be able to get one so I was wondering what you all thought...

Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What are your thoughts on a Voyager Roof Rack

I have that same rack, but Rover Racks did not make it. I think it was the originial rack from Safety Devices.
I love the rack, i have a 5 pair Thule Ski rack attached along with a Thule Bike rack and i am installing4 Hella 500FF on the front as well as a work light on the back bracket.
it can carry alot of gear. I did purchase the rear ladder from rover racks to complete the package and it looks great, very sturdy!
The only down side is it can be very loud on the interstate and doesnt do well with the Gas mileage. This past weekend with 3 pairs of skis ontop coming back from Jay VT i got about 13.24 miles per gallon, which i was very happy with. Normally i get about 11-12 in town.
I have seen a few with custom made wind deflectors to control the airflow and to keep gas mileage up.
I did take it off of the truck this summer, which was very convienant (2 people).

I hope that helps.
ROSS

Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its a copy of the Safety Devices roof rack, how ever theres a few differences, the SD racks mount better to the gutters, and the vertical bars from the gutters "up" run inline with the respective pillars on the truck which makes it look better imo, SD racks are hard to come by, so the roverracks version is a good compromise if you want that "look"

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt they're a solid rack. They look nice and probably perform very well. I'm going to give an attempt at making my own before I buy one from anyone though. One of my buddies is a decent welder so all said and done I could probably make one for under $200. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world but I'm a poor college student what can I do?