Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your vent temps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What are your vent temps?

Mine is blowing 57 degrees at the vent (read when 90 out) and only moderately hard.

When I turn my tiny Toyota Yaris AC on, it blasts hard and freezing cold. Curious if these weak ACs are typical or if I just need a new compressor or something of the sort. Refrigerant level was good, and I cleaned off my condenser with condenser cleaner. Next up is some Reflectix insulation coming in that I'm going to layer the floors with, under the carpet.

So anyone know their vent temps?

Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My '03 is similar, on very hot days the vent temp is high 50's easily. I've evacuated and recharged the system, condenser fan works, pressures look normal, tried clamping off the heater hoses to make sure it wasn't a blend door issue leaking heat into the ducts from the heater core. I'm beginning to suspect the system has too much oil in it for lack of any other explanation. If I get further into diagnosing it I will report back.

And no, I don't think ours are normal, I drove another '03 before I bought mine and it cooled fine.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Don't use econ mode.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:23 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

On a hottish day, say about 35C, mine reads about 15c-16c at the dash vents when stationary using full A/C not Econ. It's better on recirc or when moving.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure using Econ = disables the AC Compressor completely aka as vent mode.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Mine blows at 41-45 as of yesterday. It was 100+ degrees. Gets a bit warmer when idling. Even going down a surface street it's pretty cold.

You may have a high side restriction. There is a metering device like an expansion valve or block. I forget which one this system has. That basically regulates flow of refrigerant into the evaporator under the dash. Lots of times its that rather than the compressor. Only way to really tell is have a quality set of gauges to watch both sides of the system.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In my opinion, the A/C is one of the best working systems on the D2. I've had several examples, and they've all been frosty cool in the summer with no maintenance.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Loving the feedback, it's great to compare experiences. Seems like a fair share of people have AC performance like me, and some have great performance here. But nice to know that there is room for improvement.

I never turn on econ. If it got to that, I feel like I would just roll my windows down. I know how much money I'm wasting on gas, what's a few more dollars for AC, I say.

Shiftonthefly1, those are some nice temps. Ok, so I was planning on loaning some manifold gauges from AutoZone to check high and low side pressures, is that the direction you're pointing me in?

Also just noticed today for the first time that the driver side center vent is not open all the way. The adjuster switch to open or close it has been broken, just flaps back and forth loosely without effect, but today I compared my side to the passenger side and realized it's blowing hard and strong on the passenger side but about 50% as strong on my side. So I'm going to take apart this fascia one of these nights and see if I can fix that. Any tips for removing the fascia to get to the dash vents?

Kenso, yes, I've considered evacuating the system and starting fresh. Never done that before, does the old oil come out easily enough, do you know?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My A/C has always been poor. I've noticed when I have the refrigerant replenished it gets better, but it only stays "good" for a few months. It's not losing pressure, so it's not leaking, but I'm convinced there's something not quite right with it. I'm not sure how to diagnose it, though, and I'd be interested if there are ways to test the performance of the various components (evaporator, drier, condenser and compressor). All I can say is it'd be unfortunate if it's an evaporator problem, because that's way up in the dash and I'm sure is an expensive part.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by batard
My A/C has always been poor. I've noticed when I have the refrigerant replenished it gets better, but it only stays "good" for a few months. It's not losing pressure, so it's not leaking, but I'm convinced there's something not quite right with it. I'm not sure how to diagnose it, though, and I'd be interested if there are ways to test the performance of the various components (evaporator, drier, condenser and compressor). All I can say is it'd be unfortunate if it's an evaporator problem, because that's way up in the dash and I'm sure is an expensive part.
If you have to add refrigerant, it's leaking. On your next "replenishment" add dye to aid in locating the source of lost refrigerant. Or if you wanna get right down to it, evacuate the system, then, charge with Nitrogen and listen for leaks. Find the leak, repair it, pull the system down into a deep vacuum then, properly weigh in your refrigerant.

Last edited by coors; 06-20-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: What are your vent temps?