Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best year to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best year to buy?

Hi! I am new to this forum, but am an avid user on several others related to my other SUVs, an '03 Chevy Blazer and an '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm sure you can imagine from owning those two I am not afraid to work on my own car (up to an extent, I avoid getting into the block).

I am in the market for my first Rover. I am looking to spend in the $7k range and live in Miami so that could mean anything up to about an 03 with about 70 - 80k miles so I have several questions I was hoping you guys wouldn't mind sharing opinions on.

1. What years are the best/worst?
2. Is the 4.6 better than a 4.0, etc.?
3. What should I look for/avoid?
4. I was thinking of searching for an S to avoid equipment that would give me trouble like moon roofs, etc. Am I wrong?

I really appreciate all of your input!
Thanks,
Tim

Old 08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but if you are planning on off-roading look for a 2004. That way you will have a CDL already installed.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Drifting

I've got a 2004 SE with 140,000 miles for sale. I bought it sight, unseen, and have since done head gasket repairs, thermostat, serpentine belt, etc. Still dealing with three amigos, and a water leak.

Its in Daytona if you want to know more. 904 868 1694

Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get a 2001 personally, its before the face lift so some of the more expensive components (headlights) arent added, you get the ability to add a cdl, the 4.0 is better on mileage and from what i've heard (unproven) more reliable. The common failures will be present in any year. People say avoid the 2003 due to the oil pump issues but it has been said that the ones that are faulty have either since been fixed under campaign or blew up; so, it's doubtful you'd have issues with that year. Definitely find one with low miles, over 120k and you're pushing it if you want to do low maintenance. After that you just need your option prefences (7 seater, sls, ace, etc).

Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

04. End of story

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

1997, done.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You are wise to avoid sun roofs. Update to an Ultra Gauge so you can really watch the engine temps, factory gauges in all Discos are not real accurate. Buy a D1 with big roof rack and lots of Hellas so you can light up the area when you turn off of Biscayne Blvd around the 7000 block.....

Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tshannon76
Hi! I am new to this forum, but am an avid user on several others related to my other SUVs, an '03 Chevy Blazer and an '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm sure you can imagine from owning those two I am not afraid to work on my own car (up to an extent, I avoid getting into the block).

I am in the market for my first Rover. I am looking to spend in the $7k range and live in Miami so that could mean anything up to about an 03 with about 70 - 80k miles so I have several questions I was hoping you guys wouldn't mind sharing opinions on.

1. What years are the best/worst?
2. Is the 4.6 better than a 4.0, etc.?
3. What should I look for/avoid?
4. I was thinking of searching for an S to avoid equipment that would give me trouble like moon roofs, etc. Am I wrong?

I really appreciate all of your input!
Thanks,
Tim
If your looking for to save money on maintenance repairs, decent MPG, off-road capable SUV then your better off sticking with your little jeep. Rovers are not for everyone. Jeep parts are a lot easier to come by, and every mechanic probably understands the mechanical blue print of jeeps whereas Rovers are less common, imported and the parts can be really expensive to buy, and working on Rovers can really make a mechanic scratch his head for a few hours. But then again thats just one of the many reasons why we love our Rovers!

Personally I prefer the final year of the Discovery 2 Model: 2004. I prefer all the gadgets that were naturally intended for the Disco - sunroofs are a trade mark icon of the Discovery! If I could have the ace and sls system then I would! I love the new modernized facelift, and I love how the 2004 blends classic styling with the modern age. So if you were going to get a Rover I'd say either buy Spikes 97 Disco, or a decent low miles 2004!

Last edited by TRIARII; 08-22-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. It sounds like an 04 is the best bet. I understand that appreciation for something that will give you headaches. I am a third generation Harley-Davidson owner, so yeah, been there. Also I was sort of shocked on parts prices. If you are used to only buying premium parts like I do for my Jeep, the cost difference is practically nothing when looking on British Pacific. Sure, with the GC there is cheap crap availble, but I would never buy it anyway. I look forward to shopping for my first Rover! I'll keep you all up to date if I find anything great. And what is this "Biscayne Blvd around the 7000 block....." place Savannah? I have only lived down here for about two years...

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The best year is simply the one you find that has been maintained best. I've seen plenty or 03-04's at auction that still run dexcool, have ticks, intermittent overheating. Just because it's newer I wouldn't say it's the best but then again i have my 03 and I love it. I'd say the difference between the 4.6 and 4.0 is pretty negligible, but to know you have the most powerful engine the D2 offers is nice.

But I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a 98 D1 that has been well cared for. You can come across those on Land rover enthusiast sites regularly. You can check here or Discoweb.com, there is a very good conditioned D1 for a good price.

S model is smart choice but interior refinements are nice. I like the heated seats and the view of dual sunroofs. However I almost never use my sunroofs because I don't want to break them lol.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 08-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: What's the best year to buy?