Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your Disco2's "heart" sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey scott, yours sounds just like mine. What have you found specificaly wrong in the top end?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing physically wrong so far. I peaked at the lifters and pushrods and they looked ok. I took the rocker shafts off and inspected too, but all looked alright. I actually was taking it apart to fix a coolant leak. I have been leaking the greenish stuff for some time down the bell house on the passenger side.

So far though I haven't done anything more than inspect and take the heads to the machine shop.

I will report back if I learn anything else.

Scott

Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Maybe take a look at the steel cup in the rocker arm where push rod sits, since rockers are aluminum they can pop loose.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Drifting

I checked the cups and they look good. Everything else looked ok. I finally got the head gasket job done tonight and it runs really well so far. The noise came back when it was good and warm. I thought it was much less pronounced though. I actually did some listening with a long screwdriver and it dosen't sound like it's coming from the valve covers(they sound smooth). I didn't get under the truck and listen, but I will soon. It sounded more like from the center of the motor under the upper intake manifold. My dad thought maybe it was a fuel injector. I have never heard a injector sound like that(I don't think it is).

Scott

Old 03-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think what ever is causing the noise is dead center in engine. On mine the noise is equal from either side and loudest underneath. Im thinking some crankshaft related bearing.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what my engine sounds like....warm idle. Honestly, I'm happy with this! It made a more pronunced "tick" about 20K miles ago. It seems to have dissapated with a lot with frequent oil changes, some marvel mystery oil, BG 44K etc.... I'm not certain that I can really say any of these individually helped, but collectively, they seem to have helped.

YouTube - 2004 Disco

Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 94svt50
Hey scott, yours sounds just like mine. What have you found specificaly wrong in the top end?
Mine too...exactly.

Originally Posted by sbaldwin243
I checked the cups and they look good. Everything else looked ok. I finally got the head gasket job done tonight and it runs really well so far. The noise came back when it was good and warm. I thought it was much less pronounced though. I actually did some listening with a long screwdriver and it dosen't sound like it's coming from the valve covers(they sound smooth). I didn't get under the truck and listen, but I will soon. It sounded more like from the center of the motor under the upper intake manifold. My dad thought maybe it was a fuel injector. I have never heard a injector sound like that(I don't think it is).

Scott
Scott let us know if pursue this further. I would love to know what is causing this noise. I got underneath with a long screwdriver - held it to the oil pan and heard NOTHING. Although, the noise was obviously still there.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Cyberbaker
Here is what my engine sounds like....warm idle. Honestly, I'm happy with this! It made a more pronunced "tick" about 20K miles ago. It seems to have dissapated with a lot with frequent oil changes, some marvel mystery oil, BG 44K etc.... I'm not certain that I can really say any of these individually helped, but collectively, they seem to have helped.

YouTube - 2004 Disco
That high pitched whistling...vacuum leak? Kind of hard to tell, but sure sounds like one...I've got a whistling on mine too that I'm trying to track down.

...as for the way my engine sounds, besides the slight vacuum leak, it sounds like the others in this thread...it's sounded this way for about as long as I can remember and I've owned my 04 since 06 and I've put 70,000 miles on it...I've talked about this sound with a LR Service Mgr friend of mine a few times over the years and he's stated that most of the them have one sound or another that sounds like mine, and the others in this thread do...he went so far as to say even brand new Range Rovers sometimes have the odd tick...

...over the years I've learnt not to sweat it and just to enjoy the truck...yes, I still watch the temp gauge like a hawk and I fix any oil seeps/leaks as soon as they appear, but I've slowly learnt to get over my Land Rover Nervosa

Last edited by Disconoobie; 04-01-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I would say that is a belt too tight, or your p/s pump or maybe even your alt. Usually that "whine" is caused by something like that.
You were right. I had a nice little surprise 2 weeks ago....

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Drifting

I'll shoot some video of mine today, though you probably won't hear much over the PS whine that I cant seem to bleed out.

Quick Reply: What's your Disco2's "heart" sound like?