Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Lock Problem - Towed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Lock Problem - Towed

Well, it finally happened - Wheel lock! I tried everything: lubricants while tapping the key, turning wheel left to right etc. It has no give. I was blocking my aunt's driveway and had to have it towed to a local mechanic with a good rep and customers who probably don't ask too many questions about $.

I have not received the estimate yet, but they said something about having dismantle something to unlock the wheel and replace a "special order" part from the LR dealer, which was my first red flag. I immediately mentioned Rovers North, etc. as an alternative source and they said they were aware of them. When it got towed, the guy had to do something under the truck to get the transmission in neutral so that is probably an additional repair. He had to winch the truck on to the flatbed from the back.

I am trying to go into my Monday phone call with the mechanic prepared. I would appreciate any tips on what to look out for, what would be normal to expect, etc. Perhaps I am being too paranoid with this mechanic. I'll get back to you all again when I receive the estimate. I am willing to pay, but for only what is necessary.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

1999 Discovery II approx. 125,000 (too attached)

Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Would the engine start?

As for what the tow truck guy did he disconnected both driveshafts, otherwise all four wheels will be locked by the transmission being in park.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Overlanding

I could not turn the key to get the ignition to start. Usually I have to turn the wheel a bit to get the key to turn. It would not happen this time. Nothing that worked before would work.

I asked the tow guy if he was doing something with the drive shaft, but he did not seem to want to say.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

You need a new ignition switch.
The clue is not being able to turn the key far enough to start the truck and having to wiggle the steering wheel before this all happened.

So if they try to sell you something else ask very loudly and firmly why and suggest they look into the ignition switch.

Alot of people with early DII's have ignition switch problems but they have never gotten this bad.
They usually have them replaced once the steering wheel wiggle gets to be a everytime thing.
So your not alone.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Spike. The LR teaches me yet another difficult lesson. I initially took the ignition problem for granted and worked through it. Big mistake. I have other maintenance issues I was going to deal with at a LR mechanic in CT for the first time, but never thought about the ignition.

Is this the part you are referring to:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6...on-rr-clc.aspx

What about the steering column? Is there something that makes the steering wheel lock in a way that would require work on this part of the Disco. I think they mentioned this too during our initial conversation b/c there was no wiggle in the wheel as was usually the case. I was a bit skeptical about this.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PRC5712G.cfm

This is for the wrong year and truck but you get the idea.
Yes they need to open up the steering column.
There is a lock connected to the steering wheel to prevent theft, all cars have this.
They need to replace both I suspect.
But it is all in the steering column, they should not have to touch anything else.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Overlanding

OK, I understand now. Thanks for explaining.