Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Speed Sensors Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Speed Sensors Bad?

I have had the three amigo's for a long time. I replaced the ABS pump awile back with a new one. I just got around to buying a ABS Amigo, great tool. It looks like I still have a few ABS codes. I searched alot of old threads and checked a few things before posting this thread. I checked that the wheel bearings are not loose by jacking up the front end and feeling the wheels for any movement, they were very tight. Also all the pads are new with no sqeaking. There is no warping of the rotors. Here are the codes I am getting. I replaced the front right wheels speed sensor at 135,000 miles. The left is original. It looks like the left is bad and maybe the right again. What do you guys think?

2000 Discovery II
196,000 Miles

1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
044:Front Right sensor output low
Front Left Sensor Bad Output
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
066:Front Left sensor electric fail
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
044:Front Right sensor output low
046:Front Left sensor output low
<-END Faults

Thank you,
Willie

Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Can wheel speed sensors be ohm tested?

Thank you,
Willie

Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Mudding

you have some bad abs sensors up front,pull them out and check to see if they are chewed up or not.if they arent then replace the sensors if they are chewed up then the wheel bearing is bad also.i had this problem on my 01 i never even knew the wheel bearing was bad didnt make any noise just chewed up my abs sensor i replaced the sensor and i had the light come back on in a day.pulled out that sensor and it was all chewed up like the prev one so i replaced the wheel bearing/hub unit and it has been fine ever since!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, they can be tested. There's a document with the steps floating around somewhere on the net.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I pulled the left wheel speed sensor out to look at it. It is not chewed up at all. There is no play at all in the hub. The ohms reads 1050. I did notice some grease in the teath of abs wheel. I also changed out the left axle shaft assembly while I was in there, the cv boot was torn. I have read the codes a few times after and am now only getting a 044 right front sensor output low error.

Willie

Old 09-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling

The grease in there is a good thing, and that number is right around where it should be. You can do a couple of things; first spray out the connectors with some electrical cleaner put a little silicone grease around the O-ring that seals out water and other crud and see if your problems disappear. Also, if the problem is constant, did you spin the hub while you had the sensor out to make sure all teeth were intact?

If not and the lights are coming on like clockwork you can do this to narrow it down to hub or sensor. A multimeter with a high refresh rate and a min/max setting will help- connect wires to the abs sensor and run the wire inside the car and connect to a multimeter. Have a passenger watch as you drive around, maybe hit the interstate and set the cruise. The readings will change with speed but should be fluid and consistent. If you at any point see very low resistance or an OC the sensor is def bad. If you see the numbers change as you go over a bump, like an expansion joint in a bridge, with the cruise set you've prob got a bad hub.

The max min is a good function to use because you can then see what the min reading was. The cruise isn't dead on so there will be a slight fluctuation but you get the idea. It's not a sure thing but the best way to make an educated guess that I have found.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Just out of curiosity, do your wheels have a lot of brake dust and or Squeak?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I did not look at all of the teeth. I am using a Actron CP7678 automotive multimeter. I don't know if it will do what you described. I just had the right sensor out today and it is not chewed up and the hub feels tight. There was a lot of dust in there, I cleaned all of the dust out, and put alot of brake pad glue on. I reset the abs with the amigo, then took it for a test drive. The 3 amigos came back on when apling the brakes at a stop light after about 10 miles. When I turn off the ignition the 3 amigos go off then come back later when stopping at another light. They don't come on while going over bumps. I don't hear any squaking. The right sensor tested 1060 ohms.

Here is the meter I am using.
http://www.tradervar.com/digital-mul...ron-p35625.htm

Willie

http://www.tradervar.com/digital-mul...ron-p35625.htm

Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling

The 3 amigos came on twice today when cornering fast to the left and no braking. The right wheel speed sensor output low was the error again. It looks like their is to much play in the hub. Are the hubs from Atlantic British good? I want to get this thing working good for the winter.

Thank you,
Willie