Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where do these 8 circles go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 02:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question where do these 8 circles go?

Hello,
I am currently refreshing my 4.0 and I ordered a head gasket kit but I have yet to find a single kit that lists what all the pieces are that come in the kit. Does anyone have any idea what some of the washers/o-rings/gaskets are for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30192833648...m=301928336481

Here a list of what I know
Head gaskets x 2
valve cover gaskets x 2
vally pan gasket x1
front/back vally pan seal x 2
exhaust gaskets x4
Valve seal x 16
head bolts (short) x 14
Head bolts (long) x 6

From here I don't know what the rest of the pieces are for.
Any help is defiantly appreciated as I have exhausted my rave manual and still haven't found a lot of information on what these extra pieces are for.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:45 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

The gasket kits are produced to fit many different engine configurations, so no engine uses all of the pieces.

The following users liked this post:
kristoffersmith (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Some of these are the side bolt seals for the bearing caps. You definitely want to replace those. They look like washers with rubber sealing rings built-in.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:46 AM
TReK

You should really only mess with those bolt seals if they're leaking or you're replacing the crankshaft bearing shells. If someone's doing head gaskets they're not necessarily messing with the bottom end of the engine.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Are the eight larger O-rings (four pictured on the left just below a headgasket, and the other four on the right) possibly fuel injector O-rings?

Old 05-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
You should really only mess with those bolt seals if they're leaking or you're replacing the crankshaft bearing shells. If someone's doing head gaskets they're not necessarily messing with the bottom end of the engine.
In every 4.0 or 4.6 I've seen with any mileage on it they were leaking so I assumed his probably are, too. These are a hell of a lot easier to replace when the heads and exhaust manifolds are off the engine.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:57 PM
Three Wheeling

i’m replacing my head gasket and while I am already with the car in the garage in pieces I’m also replacing oil pump gear And oil pick up line o-ring, timing chain, connecting rod bearings, piston rings, water pump and thermostat, spark plugs and wires...

I’m not planing to touch the crank shaft as I don’t think there is a way to get it off without removing the transmission and really the entire engine.

in any case Sounds like I don’t necessarily need to use every single part that comes in the kit. There are also some small O-rings that comes with that I haven’t been able to figure out where they might go.
I guess I’ll just have to to keep my fingers crossed and replace the parts that I do know with a go

Old 05-09-2020, 07:56 AM
TReK

The engine doesn't have to come out to change the crankshaft bearings, but you do have to remove the bolts that were indicated earlier along with the oil pan -- which you will have to do in order to get to the oil pump.
I saw no leaks from those bolts on either of my D2's so I didn't bother changing the seals when I did major maintenance.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:34 PM
Three Wheeling

The engine doesn't have to come out to change the crankshaft bearings, but you do have to remove the bolts that were indicated earlier along with the oil pan -- which you will have to do in order to get to the oil pump.
I saw no leaks from those bolts on either of my D2's so I didn't bother changing the seals when I did major maintenance.
I guess I could take another look at it but I wasn’t planning on replacing my main bearings or taking off my main bearing caps. Unfortunately for me my Land Rover has been leaking oil out of the valve covers for the last four years and my entire engine became super SLIMEY. I cleaned it off the best I could before I started working on it and even now with everything apart I am still fighting through some of the crud. Truth be told everything was so gross that it would be pretty much impossible for me to tell even if one of those bolts for the main caps was leaking.