Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find an 03/04 Complete Motor? Picking up a 03 with a Bad Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

begin rant....

put down the haterade

i have talked to numerous engine guys such as motorcarsltd and a few guys at autosports unlimited..... i'm not saying it was the cool thing to do (pull pins) ... i said i think i found MY fix... for my 2003 4.6 problem... if you dont have a 4.6 with a failed oil pump then dont worry about it....

heres a question......do you know what its like to have a motor people wont even take as a core?..... if i replace the pump MAYBE the engine will last another 5-20k miles before the pump goes again? ......do you even know how much these pumps cost? like 400$ or more with a cover!!!!

"i would advise all 4.6 disco owners to pull the pins when their oil pump gear breaks up into 3 pieces, but like i said to each his own, i have dealt with the problem and i think i found the fix for me"

everyone here knows what that means and i'm not saying that i know it all but really man, ive spent upwards of $5000 ON A REBUILD and i've been staring at this short block for over 6 months with my engine re builder.... i have nothing left to lose by pulling the pins that caused the problem to begin with..

If you don't like my DIY fix then fine man...but this board is all about talking to each other and letting others know what we have learned collectively . I have this oil pump failure, my engine was oil starved when i bought it and on my engine THE PINS ARE GONE!!! SO if others want to try something else to improve the life of their oil pump / engine so be it... but i'm not satisfied with ....INSTALL ANOTHER PUMP AND WAIT FOR IT TO BLOW!!!!

if you dont like my suggestion to the people with this horrible engine problem then .... come up with something on your own and let us know ...i'd love to hear something new that will improve my problem without getting a new engine!!!!!

thank you for you time, sorry if that sounds stupid and reckless but its hard to have the money i've invested in this truck be for not because of some stupid pin....i wish i walked away but if i'm gonna make use of the time and money i'm spent.... im gonna do everything i can to make sure this engine doesnt have oil issues ... i cant afford another engine, or rebuild of a used motor, or any thing else.... so this is it... my fix is.. pull this pins.... if you have a better idea tell us

end rant.....

Last edited by 03discoman; 02-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your first post:

if you find a used engine, replace the oil pump assembly and remove the dowel pins on the block, that will cure the oil pump issue!!! the oil pump/front cover is centered by the crank and like 14 bolts so you dont need the dowel pins

Nothing about checking the VIN range to even see if this was the problem, nothing about pulling the front cover to check for broken gears in the oil pump... Just because you find that this MAY resolve your problem does not mean it is good for everyone. The OP was asking where to get a used engine.

Wow, didn't mean to **** you off that bad, but seriously? Read back through what you wrote. Pulling the pins is not the first thing to do. It may work for you, and I hope it does. I do not discredit that you have talked to numerous engine guys, but I would not suggest pulling the pins out of a motor you are installing, just stay away from the VIN range...period. Or stay away from the truck.

Sure we talk collectively about what our fixes have been. Telling a newb that is the fix isn't "talking collectively", and as far as I am concerned, you have only learned that an engine will run for 100 miles after pulling the pins. I would never alter something from original, test it for 100 miles and tell other people to do it. I might say that I had done it and it seems to work so far, but not say that it is a fix. period.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So do these engine guys know Land Rover engines or just small block chevys.

Sorry but some things on different on the european side.

Some may be the same but trust me, Chevy guys are almost as clueless as you guys when it comes to rovers. How do I know, cause I have trained several master techs on land rovers and how they are completely different and opposite of America.