Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Clanking Sound HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whining Clanking Sound HELP!

So there has been a whining sound coming from transmission or diff for a while. It is more pronounced when coasting down a hill. Does not do it at neutral only when moving. Does not seem to make a difference swithcing to neutral while driving. Starting today two things started happening. First the sound described is much more pronounced. Secondly and more worrysome there are occasional clanking sounds and sound like you get when engage a starter after the engine is already running. I checked transmission fluid. Think I checked it too hot though because it came pouring our (lost about 1/2 quart). Any idea what this might be and what if anything I could do to troubleshoot? It does not slip between the gears or anything its just makes the whine and the occasional awful clanking knock grind sound. Does not sound good thats for sure. Scared to drive it until I figure this out.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Driveshaft. most likely your u joint failed. first thing, stop driving it. second thing order a new one. 250 dollars from lucky8 or 350 from brish partsof utah. thrid step install it, 8 bolts, 9/16 using two combo ends and one 9/16 socket with 6 inch extension and and universail joint, 1/2 drive, some wire to hold drive shaft up, so it doesnt hit you in head, and you can get at the bolts with greater ease.

Finally, refill your tranny that you dimped the fluid out of.

Ok, you might want to check it before you replace it, on the side with with two u joints grb it with you hand, if its loose it is broke,

do not drive it untill you fix it.

Last edited by xxdoylexx; 12-11-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling

I replaced the Ujoints with serviceable ones about a year ago. Have not greased them since so that could possible be it. I just went under there and did not get any play in them. Hmmmmm sounds like its coming from right underneath the shifter. I will grease the U-joints and see. If they are bad I would assume grease wont fix them at this point. What is the best way to check them apart from shaking them by hand? Any other ideas?

Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You can't dependably determine if a U-joint is bad by looking for play in it. There can be enough tension to keep you from being able to move it by hand while laying under the truck. You'll have to take it off to see if it's bad. You might be able to squeeze grease through it and it still be bad. If you can't squeeze grease through it, it is definitely bad. It will probably be the one closest to the cat if you haven't greased it in a year.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
Driveshaft. most likely your u joint failed. first thing, stop driving it. second thing order a new one. 250 dollars from lucky8 or 350 from brish partsof utah. thrid step install it, 8 bolts, 9/16 using two combo ends and one 9/16 socket with 6 inch extension and and universail joint, 1/2 drive, some wire to hold drive shaft up, so it doesnt hit you in head, and you can get at the bolts with greater ease.

Finally, refill your tranny that you dimped the fluid out of.

Ok, you might want to check it before you replace it, on the side with with two u joints grb it with you hand, if its loose it is broke,

do not drive it untill you fix it.
You need eight new grade 5 nylocs.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Just greased all the U-joints and it did not make any difference. Its intermittent but scary when I hear it. Those U joints are right at a year old. Yea I should have greased them before now but my gut says thats not what Im hearing. Is the only way to really check it to detach it from the diff and see if the U-joint moves smoothly and freely? What else could this be. It has a distinctive whine going on that changes with speed. Its like the one I have always had when letting off the gas going down hill but like much louder.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srockrae
Just greased all the U-joints and it did not make any difference. Its intermittent but scary when I hear it. Those U joints are right at a year old. Yea I should have greased them before now but my gut says thats not what Im hearing. Is the only way to really check it to detach it from the diff and see if the U-joint moves smoothly and freely? What else could this be. It has a distinctive whine going on that changes with speed. Its like the one I have always had when letting off the gas going down hill but like much louder.
I have 2003, discovery, 125,000 miles, I had the same problem. Whining noise and clunking. The original you joints are not serviceable (i.e. greaseable)

There are eight bolts, this is a very simple remove and replace. Find a local machine shop to press new Ujoints. Parts should run you know more than $50 online.

I know all this because I took mine in for service, I watched the mechanic do it in less than 20 minutes, and spent $500.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

without a CDL there is no way to pull the front drive shaft and still be able to drive it.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
without a CDL there is no way to pull the front drive shaft and still be able to drive it.
Thanks for that, I was wondering myself. Since mine was built in 06/2001 I'm pretty sure I don't have the CDL equipped TC

On topic, I am about to replace the front driveshaft as a PM item (117K miles) as it looks original. Was leaning toward the lucky8 version but since it does not have a greaseable centering bearing I might just go with the Proshaft version. I'm not an off roader but will do some towing and plentyl of salted snowy road driving. Someday a 2" lift will go on also...

Old 12-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRacerX
Thanks for that, I was wondering myself. Since mine was built in 06/2001 I'm pretty sure I don't have the CDL equipped TC

On topic, I am about to replace the front driveshaft as a PM item (117K miles) as it looks original. Was leaning toward the lucky8 version but since it does not have a greaseable centering bearing I might just go with the Proshaft version. I'm not an off roader but will do some towing and plentyl of salted snowy road driving. Someday a 2" lift will go on also...
Don't be so sure. My late model '01 has a CDL nipple. Crawl underneath and you may be in for surprise.

Quick Reply: Whining Clanking Sound HELP!