Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whinning transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whinning transfer case

My 04 Disco just started a whinining/grinding/rubbing sound. I have had the truck for 2 years and this is the first time I have heard this. Had my mechanic look at it and he said the transfercase is making the noise. The case was full of fluid but I am not sure what is in it. No codes have came on so far. The fluids had been changed around the 50,000 mile mark it now has around 75,000. I was thinking of draining the case before doing anything and seeing what the oil looks like. Looking to see if anyone else has had this problem. What they may think it is, what they did, what it cost, who sells or rebuilds them and if this is a project I can do myself or do you need a professional or dealer to install

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Drain it and look at the magnetic drain plug. If there are chunks or shavings of metal start looking for a new transfer case. Sounds like you should start looking anyways.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

drain it and throw in some 85W140 full synthetic fluid. Then start looking for a new case. See how much junk comes out in the change and if the whine gets better or worse. Depends on how bad the whine is and where it is coming from. The bearings on the output shafts aren't too hard to swap, but if you are grinding gears, it may be time for a new case. roverlandparts.com has some good stuff, or just check e-bay. You will have to get one from an 04 only. Pretty sure you have some extra electrics on yours.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, the case is about to die, depending on how bad it is, draining it, inspecting the fluid to see how much metal is in it and going to a 75W/140 gear oil may give you some but a little time to start looking for a used case.
What state do you live in.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Drifting

I am going to try to get it drained in the next few days and see what it looks like. I think I am going to go ahead and change everything else as well so I know for sure what and how much is in there. I also didn't want to tear it out to only find out that it isn't the problem. Is there anything else I could do before I drain or tear it out. I will try the heavier oil but is sure dosen't sound goos at this point and its my wifes car who is hauling around my kids so I would rather be safe than sorry. Would you put in a used or rebuilt, I see Roverland Parts has rebuilts for $1,350.00 is this out of line or would you trust a used take out for 4 - 6 hundred dollars. I live in Ohio any suggestions on where to buy or look.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, if your wife is toting the kids, drain it tonight and inspect and refill, or take it to a shop and do it.. If it has a problem or is low on oil, it will lock up and leave it stranded. Are you still driving this thing? I don't mean to freak you out, but it needs to be attended to. Did your mechanic check the fluid level?

Are you driving around with it locked? Is there a little light of axles and tries on the dash? What postition is the axle linkage?

I would have no reservations at all putting a used one in. roverland inspects their parts.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Drifting

No I am not driving it, There are no lights on the dash at all. I have never shifted it out of the normal position not sure what they call it but am assuming its 4wheel high. Not sure what you mean about the position of the axle linkage.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Walmart sells Rotella 85w140 gear oil for $5 per quart. It is not synthetic but is heavy duty stuff. Go buy 3 quarts and a pump and change the fluid. It takes 30 mins max and all you need is a 1/2" wobble extension harbor freight sells a good set for $15.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Drifting

I am going to go buy the oil tonight, I read the thread on servicing the T/case but it was shown on a DI is it the same for a DII. I am assuming there is a mag drain plug on the bottom so I'll drain it empty. It looks like the fill plug is on the side so I'll fill it till it comes out. Do I need to start the engine or drive and recheck or is when it runs out the filling plug good enough. How many quarts should I expect to come out and how many should I expect to put back in.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It takes just over 2 quarts of gear lube.
So you should expect to get 2 quarts out.
Just fill it until it comes out of the fill hole, no need to drive it other than to see if the noise is gone.
There is no pump in the t-case, just gears, the gears throw the lube around (splash lubrication) and that is how it gets lubed.
Yes the DII t-case is just like the DI case.
Remove the fill plug before you drain it, if you drain it but then cant remove the fill plug you are screwed.

Quick Reply: whinning transfer case