Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default White smoke?

Bought 2001 Land Rover discovery II SE (107k miles) last month. I am noticing white smoke in the morning and the evening. Temperature in WA have been 32 or lower at night and 38 in the evening. That is when I drive it, about 2 miles to a transit center mornings and back home evenings. I see the temp gauge come to middle at around 1.75 miles - about 4 stops = intersections with lights. It does not overheat. Only the first day did I actually drive it, about 75 miles but I cannot remember if I noticed smoke at the exhaust after driving
I use an OBDII with DashCommand- no error codes, zero whatsoever. I do not see any leaks of any sort on the ground where it is parked. No weird sounds, quite the power, really! I cannot define any weird smell after the daily 2 mile commute. When I let the engine run and open the hood it sounds like a new car, really it is quieter than a Kia Sorento 2011 2.4L
I did some reading on this forum - there is no red coolant leaking - I don't see the reservoir go down when I check it in the morning before I start up. I checked the oil level and it is a bit under medium but it sure does not look like there is a milky substance present. I am replacing the oil and filter this weekend.
I looked at motor and the area where the seal is, almost impossible for me but at least all looks nice, dry and not weird sounding.
So, what is the smoke? and where is it coming from? How long of a drive do I need to take to make sure the engine is at operating temperature and should not be smoking anymore?
I do notice that when the engine is cold, the choke helps the car take off reaaaaaaally fast but that feeling goes away after a minute or so... the car keeps its power however, I have to drive 2 or 3 stories to park it in the transit center and that is far less difficult that I thought it would be. HELP White smoke is killing me!

Old 12-07-2017, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

If no coolant loss, could be just vapor from cold air in the morning which is normal in cooler tempereatures,

Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
If no coolant loss, could be just vapor from cold air in the morning which is normal in cooler tempereatures,
x 2 what he said

Old 12-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I am in WA as well, this time of year you will see the white smoke due to outside temps. It is normal and it happens on my BMW as well.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,190 Likes on 851 Posts

Probably just condensation within the exhaust system, especially if you are only commuting 2 miles.

Brian.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Probably just condensation within the exhaust system, especially if you are only commuting 2 miles.

Brian.
That or they've elected a new pope

Old 12-08-2017, 02:13 PM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
That or they've elected a new pope
Having your own Pope on board might help to keep it running!

Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,190 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
Having our own Pope on board might help to keep it running!
Naw, I believe we need the man upstairs to handle a job like that...lol.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default White smoke, no pope to be seen!

This weekend I was able to drive a bit more. about 30 miles. I assume it is worse than first suggested. The white smoke, although less that the first 10 minutes or so is still present. I Drove around to find a "cheap Christmas tree for $88 which took about 45 minutes. In the evening, with a cool engine I noticed and this for the first time, that the coolant in the reservoir had diminished. I added about 1/2 pint. Afterwards I only drive it to and from a store = 3 miles total and in the evening the coolant was still at the same level, this after cooling down the engine - outside temp was around 36 or so. I assume now that it is blown head gasket. the engine does not overheat, so can I assume that at least the thermostat is still working? that part looks like new (white plastic)
I have read many contributions on this forum but for an economist it is quite complicated, I do admit. This morning I heard the same as the very first day I drove it, ie. somewhere water (coolant?) running through a pipe or pipes, when making a turn. I did check the area where the inner heater radiator is located but I did not see any leak nor is there any wet or soggy carpet - ui have no clue where that moving water comes from. this was only at the beginning of my daily 2 mile commute.
Questions: I want the white smoke gone - should I buy the smoke tester to make sure it is coolant or can I skip that step?
If yes, should I first try a gasket liquid repair product considering the fact that I will not go 3000 miles per annum and even that is an exaggeration?
If not, what option do I choose? Do I go to the Land Rover dealer in Fife/Tacoma, about 8 miles from my house or a serious none LR repair place
or
do I wait till a forum volunteer offers to guide me with this job? The last option would be remunerated, of course! IFYI: live in Federal Way, WA 98023-5601

If any amongst you are asking why I bought a Land Rover in the first place considering I could take a Vespa or a Trek bike to commute... ? I like the see through my curtains and glance at my Land Rover..

By the way, one more question... are there any aluminum body parts on this car?

Old 12-11-2017, 02:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Water noise is more than likely coming from heater core under the dash, nothing to concern yourself about.

Lack of coolant, keep an key on it but, I wouldn't go as far to say there was a head gasket issue just yet.

Quick Reply: White smoke?