Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Atlantic British just posted a head gasket repair video if you decide to replace it yourself.

- Part 1

- Part 2

Old 12-11-2017, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

Don't put any snake oil in your engine. It won't work, even for the low mileage that you drive.
The waterfall noise is usually caused by air trapped in the heater coils. That air slowly makes its way out of the system as you drive it more, so your coolant level will drop.
If the weather is cold, it's possible to still see the white "smoke" at the tailpipe even after the engine and exhaust system are fully warmed up.
The temperature gauge on the dashboard effectively has three positions: cold - not cold - too hot. You really can't use it to say that your engine temperature is not fluctuating or verging on overheating.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

you may be at the beginnings of the Great Headgasket Adventure.

I speak from experience.

Put in Barr's leaks. To stave off problems.
It will not fix your head gasket. but it will
keep coolant in your system.

When you then get around to changing the head gasket you can
flush out all the Barr's leaks.

Eventually the Antifreeze will cause codes due to fouling the spark plugs in the morning.

You are at the beginning stages.
The Barr's leaks will help.

There is not much else you can do.
this is the nature of this beast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76579732@N07/

Old 12-12-2017, 01:30 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by uvodee
This weekend I was able to drive a bit more. about 30 miles. I assume it is worse than first suggested. The white smoke, although less that the first 10 minutes or so is still present. I Drove around to find a "cheap Christmas tree for $88 which took about 45 minutes. In the evening, with a cool engine I noticed and this for the first time, that the coolant in the reservoir had diminished. I added about 1/2 pint. Afterwards I only drive it to and from a store = 3 miles total and in the evening the coolant was still at the same level, this after cooling down the engine - outside temp was around 36 or so. I assume now that it is blown head gasket. the engine does not overheat, so can I assume that at least the thermostat is still working? that part looks like new (white plastic)
I have read many contributions on this forum but for an economist it is quite complicated, I do admit. This morning I heard the same as the very first day I drove it, ie. somewhere water (coolant?) running through a pipe or pipes, when making a turn. I did check the area where the inner heater radiator is located but I did not see any leak nor is there any wet or soggy carpet - ui have no clue where that moving water comes from. this was only at the beginning of my daily 2 mile commute.
Questions: I want the white smoke gone - should I buy the smoke tester to make sure it is coolant or can I skip that step?
If yes, should I first try a gasket liquid repair product considering the fact that I will not go 3000 miles per annum and even that is an exaggeration?
If not, what option do I choose? Do I go to the Land Rover dealer in Fife/Tacoma, about 8 miles from my house or a serious none LR repair place
or
do I wait till a forum volunteer offers to guide me with this job? The last option would be remunerated, of course! IFYI: live in Federal Way, WA 98023-5601

If any amongst you are asking why I bought a Land Rover in the first place considering I could take a Vespa or a Trek bike to commute... ? I like the see through my curtains and glance at my Land Rover..

By the way, one more question... are there any aluminum body parts on this car?
I know you are concerned about the white smoke situation. I can add few things here and there. You live in Washington and I believe the humidity there is high. Right this time you temperature averages in the 40's. But as mentioned earlier that this situation is normal in humid and colder temperatures. Like also mentioned that the babbling brook sound you are having is air in your cooling system. Are you getting any codes at the moment? Misfires? Unless you have an internal leak, then you can address your coolant loss. You can even get a bore scope to check if coolant getting in your cylinders. Cheers

Old 12-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

no one mentioned "smell the smoke". Does it smell sweet like anti freeze? Either someone didn't properly bleed the cooling system recently (like after a thermostat replacement you mentioned), or you are sucking in air on cool down due to a leak somewhere causing the gurgling heater core. Keep driving it while monitoring the water level, that reservoir doesn't just go empty for fun. The cops call our blowing white smoke condensation cars "Puffers", due to them being spotted easily by car thieves while they are warming up in the morning out in front of our homes...

Old 02-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

the noise was indeed coming from the heater core... after holding up the reservoir up from the rest of the circuit and letting the system bleed, the noise is gone.
I still need to fill it up with about 1/4 oz. each week.
there is still white smoke after start up. and that usually disappears after 10 minutes of driving, in my case that is never. Since November 15 I have added 280 miles.
So this month I will take it to Biggs Eastside and have them fix it.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
If no coolant loss, could be just vapor from cold air in the morning which is normal in cooler tempereatures,
X1 ............. it can be vapour or condensation in the exhaust system. Try driving the truck for around 30 minutes to see whether it clears the white smoke and report back on here.

Common Causes for Smoking Vehicles or Visible Exhaust - NCTCOG.org

Old 02-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

1/4oz?!?!?

Dude. Relax. Just drive it. If it has issues they will soon rear their ugly head.