Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who runs bilstiens

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who runs bilstiens

I have a d2 and looking to up grade my shocks im thinking the BIL 7100 stuff but want to know if anybody is running them and how they like stuff like that or would you not spend the money and just buy ome shocks I want to do bilstiens up front and ome in the back thanks MERRY CHRISTMAS

Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: who runs bilstiens

Have you alrady replaced your coil springs, if not, that is the first thing to do, consider buying the whole OMR lift/shock set up for a far better ride.
Bilstein make a great shock, but why the 7100's at some $200 a piece, they are more for performance vehicles with lifts and crazy drivers.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure the wisdom of mixing shock manufacturers... I've always heard its not the best idea. That said, I put Bilstein's on my 04 Disco recently. Love it. I've always used Bilsteins with BMW and Volkswagens, to I was pretty comfortable with them. I used the ones from http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9526.cfm. I don't know what model (7100 or otherwise).

I wanted to use OME, but don't want to lift it at all. So far, the stock coils are holding up, but that's only a matter of time. I haven't found any aftermarket coils that retain the stock height.

Hope that helps,

J

Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

J,
How many miles on your Disco?
Most Rover coils will drop an inch to an inch and a half by 50,000 miles. As long as you are not going off road you will be fine, but sometime consider repalcing the springs, your ride will greatly improve.
As fo the 7100's, they are a longer shock, designed for lots of articulation and they are rebuildable.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, an inch to an inch and a half is a good bit. I have 63K on the rig, so sounds like I probably already have the 'sag'.... I'd definitely like a firmer ride...

Are there factory height springs that aren't OE? (my understanding is that OE springs lose height over time while RTE, OME, etc., do not). I called RTE and OME, neither have a stock height application... Any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

J

Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was looking into this the other day,

so if i were to install a set of OME medium duty springs that would get me back to where the ride height should be plus give me a bit firmer and better ride without modifying anything. just a normal spring swap?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been considering the Old Man Emu Medium grade springs and a set of their shocks as I do more on road then off road and the off road driving I do in Texas is mostly in soggy rice fields during goose and duck season. The previous owner had added a 2 inch lift kit (small aluminium blocks below the springs). Should I keep these or not if I upgrade the springs?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh and which shocks would you guys recomend? Old Man Emu soft or hard?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 04BluDisco

Wow, an inch to an inch and a half is a good bit. I have 63K on the rig, so sounds like I probably already have the 'sag'.... I'd definitely like a firmer ride...

Are there factory height springs that aren't OE? (my understanding is that OE springs lose height over time while RTE, OME, etc., do not). I called RTE and OME, neither have a stock height application... Any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

J
Factory shock will just drop again, I would suggest if you do change use the Ols Man Emu coils along with their HD shocks, the standard shock doesn't have the valving for a slightly firmer coil.
If you ever get ready for springs, get back to me and I will help you pick which of the 4 springs will work best for you.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

i was looking into this the other day,

so if i were to install a set of OME medium duty springs that would get me back to where the ride height should be plus give me a bit firmer and better ride without modifying anything. just a normal spring swap?
There are 4 differnt rated OME coils, make sure you pick the one that works best for your driving habits and if you have a bumper and winch you will need to stay towards the HD coils.

Quick Reply: who runs bilstiens