Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are all auto shops completely inept?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Why are all auto shops completely inept?!

So I installed my new terrafirma steering bars yesterday, love how heavy and solid they are, seem to be pretty good quality.

Anyway, went to get it aligned this morning, thinking a big chain shop with a 4 wheel rack would be able to handle a two way adjustment..... They do it all the time right? Wrong...

Get the vehicle back and lo and behold, the idiot managed to bend the f*ck out of one of the U-bolts that holds the stabilizer bracket on the bar. I'm not even sure how he would have done it unless it was on purpose! BUT, I figured screw it, I knew better than to let a shop touch it anyway, I can get a new u bolt later, just breath and go about your day.

NOT!! The damn thing isn't even strait! The wheel is pointed at 9'oclock while tracking strait! Why the f*ck is there not a single adept grease monkey in the entire country?!

Last edited by KingKoopa; 07-07-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Alignment shops don't typically adjust the steering wheel orientation unless you ask them nicely. Just need to adjust the nuts on the track rod from steering arm to axle until you get the right length.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Alignment shops don't typically adjust the steering wheel orientation unless you ask them nicely. Just need to adjust the nuts on the track rod from steering arm to axle until you get the right length.
I'm still heated so I apologize if I come off like an asshat but that is incorrect in my experience. Every shop I've ever used for alignments straiten the wheel and then holds it in place via a spring loaded yoke or something similar.

To do otherwise is just unprofessional. I'm well aware that I can make the wheel strait myself but now I can't even be sure than the toe is correct, although it is tracking strait.

I'm primarily pissed off over the fact that this dude strait up bent one of my brand new components in such a way that can only be described as intentional or negligent.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:17 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
I'm still heated so I apologize if I come off like an asshat but that is incorrect in my experience. Every shop I've ever used for alignments straiten the wheel and then holds it in place via a spring loaded yoke or something similar.

To do otherwise is just unprofessional. I'm well aware that I can make the wheel strait myself but now I can't even be sure than the toe is correct, although it is tracking strait.

I'm primarily pissed off over the fact that this dude strait up bent one of my brand new components in such a way that can only be described as intentional or negligent.

Yup, had alignments done before and I saw them line up the steering and lock it into place and do the alignment. I guess you just have to find a reputable shop. Good luck

Old 07-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Id take it back and politely ask them to make it right. If they act stupid about it, talk to the manager of the store and politely tell them you want it corrected or your going to stick it up there a$$. It's always worked for me, but Im also a big guy.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Id take it back and politely ask them to make it right. If they act stupid about it, talk to the manager of the store and politely tell them you want it corrected or your going to stick it up there a$$. It's always worked for me, but Im also a big guy.
Got my money back. Letting them try it again wasn't an option.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Got my money back. Letting them try it again wasn't an option.
Sadly, many of the alignment operatives are 'donkeys' and also tyre fitters as well. Many have been in their job a week or two max and are dimmos in some cases. Ya don't need to be a brain surgeon to do their job but just need to be honest, accurate and careful IMO.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Exactly why I do all of my own work, Except alignments. I simply don't have the equipment to do it accurately.

I genuinely hate "oil, lube, tuneup shops." The problem is the small shops that are all good old boys and do good work don't do any advertising and are in hole in the wall locations or industrial complexes. Plus they go out of business left and right.

Grrrrr I'm still mad.

And I knew this was gonna happen. But it's usually something like the jackass couldn't find the seat controls so he just jambs his knees into the dash and cracks the bezel, or f*cks with all my dash settings, or leaves grease all over the seat/wheel

Last edited by KingKoopa; 07-07-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:58 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Politely ask to have the steering wheel centered? That's the biggest crock of poo I've heard in years. After installing the alignment heads and checking the "swing", the first step of any alignment is to center the steering wheel.

Yes, it takes longer than just a toe-setting as with 90% of new cars but that's the breaks. In the world of auto-repair, the game is that repairs pay a set number of hours - typically a tech can do the work in half the time BUT sometimes it takes them the full allotted time or longer which they hate because they're "losing" money.

Sadly, repair shops have very few MECHANICS these days. Instead, they've been replaced by TECHNICIANS who are glorified parts replacers. If they can't scan it with a computer, an average TECH can't locate or repair your problem.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The most aggravating thing is that none of that is news to me. I've known the type of morons that slunk around lube shops since high school. I won't let them touch a single other system on my vehicle. But I am completely un-equiped to do alignments.

Alright, I gotta stop talking about it. Just getting riled up again lol.

Quick Reply: Why are all auto shops completely inept?!