Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy your disco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why did you buy your disco?

To take a break from the usual "help it's broke" threads and lighten things up, I propose a question:

Why did you buy your disco?

I bought mine because I live in Vermont. Previously I was driving an awd audi which was great except when 50% of the roads you drive on are dirt or destroyed (or both), I needed a vehicle that could handle it better. I also wanted a vehicle that had more character.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Because I was in a new place and it was broken.
Because we have a Discovery I back home.
Because the transmission is automatic and you sit up high.
And, my Saab is a manual and I hate a manual in a city.
Because the price was pretty good - as it was broken and had 4 codes to be figured out.
And because a girl owned it and she took great care of it.
And for the love of simply fixing it.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I love camping, I love going off road, I like sitting up high, I enjoy carrying everything I need with me, I love bringing my friends with me. I like the style, the engineering, and all of it's little quirks.

The rig has real personality but maybe that's because in the half year that I've owned it I've spent so much time in it by wrenching on it or sleeping.

It's my home that takes me away from all the day to day crap.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife made me do it. i wanted either a disco or a land cruiser. she picked disco.
to be honest, i'm glad she picked it. it is my favorite car to drive, if only it did better than 13mpg!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm into suffering and punishment. I figured I could get a dominatrix or a disco...

Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Be cause my wife at the time didn't want out kids riding in a Series.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 04' we bought new and was the ride my wife always wanted and since it was her first car owned she got what she wanted. My 96' Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 4 wheel drive turbo (sweet car for a little rice burner) blew an engine. I needed a new car and I asked my wife what she would like since I don't drive much. She said I don't want anything else I love my Disco and the 03' came home. We like sitting high up, they look like nothing on the road and are fun to drive and very easy to work on.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Back in the late 1990's I remember a few 3.9L Discovery come into the garage where I worked, mainly ordering parts and driving people around. I remember how much fun they were to drive. Fast forward a few years. A few of my friends were going four wheeling all of the time, and I didn't have anything to drive myself. One of them got an opportunity to buy a FJ80 that was already lifted, on 38" tires for a good price, but his wife wouldn't let him have "two" toys. So he sold me a 1996 Discovery for a song, even though I said I'd never own one after countless dollars another friend spent on his RRC just trying to get it to run without leaving him stranded. After driving it for a week during some winter weather, I was hooked.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I wanted an expensive hobby, just did not know it when I bought it.
I got mine cuz it looks bad ***, big rims and tires, roof rack, tinted windows.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Easy: I love the rugged but still stylish features it presents. I am a outdoors survivalist. I needed something to get me up to my cabin an its fully factory capable of getting you either threw it or over it. It's a heavy vehicle and after being in two horrible accidents I wanted a very solid vehicle if it ever happens again. Oh yeah and my endless pockets never get tired of continuously filling it with only the best premium gasoline I can find. I love the looks I get from jeep owners and little Pee Pee guys in 13 in lifted power strokes. Other people have to follow detour signs and we can make our own scenic route. I could go on all fricken night about this thing but ill end with most people have never seen how beautiful the sky looks from the most remote almost un-touched places this truck has allowed me to go!!!!

Last edited by kc disco guy; 06-27-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your disco?