Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are Disco headliners such a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why are Disco headliners such a problem?

I have a 2003 and the headliner is already starting to pull away. Seems like over half of the used ones I looked at had some kind of pull away, usually in the corners.

My car came without the moon roofs and the sagging is coming there first.

My only question is why does LR keep using adhesive that obviously does not hold? Is it the same stuff they used to seal the cylinder head gaskets?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Why are Disco headliners such a problem?

The foam in the material is deteriorating. If anone has smoked in it or tried to clean it, it comes down.

I just replacedmy fabric. It is relatively easy to do, took me 3 hours total...( and about $40)

Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not just Disco's, lots of cars with foam backed fabric glued to a fiberglass substrate style headliner.

$40 is a great deal, local trim shop hit me $200 to do the job.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Camel Trophy

I did it myself. That was for the fabric and glue.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$40 is a deal, is that from a local headliner shop or online? Did they have an exact match or did you just use one close enough? I have contemplated ordering from stockinteriors.com but if I can find a place for $40 instead that would be nice.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess my only point is that I've owned a lot of different cars and have only had to redo the headliner on 1 or 2 and they were pretty old, and I think the heat in Texas ads to the dilema. I'm surprised that my 2003 is already sagging in spots.

It does bring back a memory though, my dad had a car when I was a kid that had the headliner come loose and he fixed it with a staple gun! It held for a couple more years after that but it looked like hell!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It definitely does seem early for a headliner to sag. Usually they'll go 8-10years. Double-check that it isn't the foam that's come unadhered from the headliner backing, rather than roam-rot (which is what usually happens over time, caused by the heat and UV). If the headlining material had come unadhered to the backing it should be easy to get in and respray the affected area and readhere. If the foam has rotted and you've just got fabric hanging down, then it's time to replace the foam/material. If you're not sure what the fabric/foam material looks like, go to just about any fabric store just to look at what it should look like.There are factors that can cause it to sag earlier. For one, the previous owner (if it was pre-owned) might have had kids that put their hands on there a lot, or raced hot-wheel cars back/fourth on the material (seen that before). Or, just lower grade foam.

If the fabric is sagging and the foam is rotted, don't even bother trying to reglue it. A lot of people try that and 1) It looks like crap, 2) doesn't last more than a week or two until the foam underneath (which is dry and crumbly) gives way and it sags again. The right way is to remove the headlining material, remove the foam and reglue new headlining material to it.It's not that difficult and would probably take you an afternoon to do it.Put the headlining material on a large piece of plywood and support the corners with blocks of wood or whatever. I usually put a couple screws through the backing into the plywoodto hold it from moving around while ya work. Removing the old foam, I do with a wire wheel on an electric drill. You won't be able to remove the original adhesive, don't worry about that. Just get as much of the old foam off as you can. Get new material from a upholstery shop, or any good fabric store usually stocks it, or can order. There are different types of nap/colors. You might not find the exact type, but should be able to get very close.

Adhere new foam on using 3M spray adhesive. Probably going to need 2 cans and it's $10/can. Don't get the super adhesive as it will melt the foam (read the can). Start at one end and work carefully and methodically towards the other. Take care not to screw it up, because once you spray adhesive on the foam and it's down, it's down. Also, once you spray adhesive onto the foam, don't accidentally let it touch other foam as you can't pull it off w/o making it looklike crap(been there). Once completed, trim the edges and reinstall. It'll look great for a long time.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
akapeller (12-28-2018)
Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Painting it with bedliner is also a popular option, and that won't sag.

shanechevelle (12-22-2018)
Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: afphinfan

$40 is a deal, is that from a local headliner shop or online? Did they have an exact match or did you just use one close enough? I have contemplated ordering from stockinteriors.com but if I can find a place for $40 instead that would be nice.

Thanks,
Mark
That was from a local shop. Just find a shop and price it. I don't have sunroofs, so thickness didn't matter, and I went with black to try something different. Just make sure to get material at least 60" wide and get 2 cans of adhesive. Have to spray the backer and the fabric to get a good stick...

Here's tha after, if you want to see it...
https://landroverforums.com/m_38465/tm.htm

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up the Land Rover Monthly magazine and
there was a article in it about how to paint it with
a truck bed liner paint that was colored to
help match the inside.

GermanPointersx2 (09-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Why are Disco headliners such a problem?