Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do Disco's have so many slipped sleeve issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

drop a Tdi in it. there are a few people now importing 300's and 200's.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disco mike is having some things going on right now and it would be great if you would keep Mike in your prayers. With every post we expect Mike to comment it is very weird without him around.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The dream fix is obviously a chevy 350. But maybe a tuned down version so you don't blow everything else up lol.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
The dream fix is obviously a chevy 350. But maybe a tuned down version so you don't blow everything else up lol.
Don't think it would be that hard so long as you were willing to go carbureted. Rewiring the gauges/sensors is time consuming, but not complicated. Could probably do it for the cost of a top-hat liner conversion (good used engine/tranny/x-fer case) and you'd have your rover engine left over to sell!

I'm just not willing to go the carb route on my 04.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodave
As regards claims of overheating causing liners to become loose because the block has warped, really??? What happens when you overheat an alloy engine? It usually warps the head becuase of the various stresses from fasteners doesn't allow it to just expand and contract like a plain block of alloy would. To think that a straight bore, with a straight liner pressed into it would somehow "warp" and allow the liner to then slide is simply crazy; it just doesn't happen.
I agree that overheating alone will warp the block, but I'm pretty sure that a combination of heat and stresses from the head bolts can distort the block. The short block in my truck was replaced under warranty by Rover before I got it due to a cylinder being out-of-round. The piston was rocking in the bore. I can't think of any way to bore a block and fabricate a liner that is not round. The only way I could see this happening is if the block became distorted after it was assembled.

As for all of the posts regarding swapping in a diesel or an engine from another manufacturer, I would be willing to bet that in the end installing a block with top-hat liners would be cheaper, not to mention the fact that most states won't allow an OBD2 (post 1996) vehicle to pass inspection without the factory engine. Plus, there seems to be plenty of people getting 200k+ out of their Rover engines so they can last.

Last edited by 04duxlr; 12-04-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
May be you will find this interesting, no where does it say to reference yourself when writing to prove a point.

How to Reference Properly | School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering

Thanks for that, Mr Cast steel Block.
I am in awe of your "technical skills" - i.e. your ability to copy and paste information from another website. Pure Genius.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Since when can't we reference ourselves on this forum? I have posted links to my threads before in response to other people's comments and questions. If you have previously written about a topic being discussed in a thread, why write it all over again? I mean, isn't the whole point of these forums to tell the world what you know or think you know and to show off your work to someone who appreciates it when your wife or girlfriend is unimpressed? I think we should all just agree that the main reason Rover engines have so many issues is because they are British and save our hatred for tools like Vonn Brickmier instead.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Trying to belittle someone by proving your point via referencing a forum thread that is authored by you is outright ridiculous.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this would be strictly a weekend, camping, running errands to the market type vehicle for us.. Definitely not a daily driver.. I'd be surprised if I put 5k miles a month on it., none the less, it's still a big purchase which IMHO requires serious research, and a thorough inspection of each candidate.. I suppose it's a lot like hiring a new employee.. The best predictor of future results is a look back at your historical track record.. Would you hire the guy with a proven track record ( maintenance records, proper repairs) or the guy with a fuzzy track record, but that looks sharp and talks a good game ( missing records , few repairs, and a new coat of wax)?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by turbodave
Thanks for that, Mr Cast steel Block.
I am in awe of your "technical skills" - i.e. your ability to copy and paste information from another website. Pure Genius.
I'm sure you are correct in your argument, you clearly reference yourself and friends of friends who knew somebody who once had a cousin who worked in England. Not to mention you are so clearly concise you have proceeded to correct Meriam Webster who had incorrectly spelled lose, thank you for changing the English language it is now "loose coolant".

Last edited by hilltoppersx; 12-04-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do Disco's have so many slipped sleeve issues?