Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my MPG suck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my MPG suck?

Hello,
re: 94 disco 89k, auto tranny
I'm not comparing to dinky 4 cylinders or anything, but I get 10 or 12 if I'm REALLY carefull about how I drive. When I accelerate the tach never goes above 2k rpm. Its all city driving but most people seem to do better than this. I've changed pretty much all the fluids, new plugs and wires, done the sea foam thing, ATF flushed, tire pressures are ok, and I use either 90 or 93 octane depending on availability. Don't have the AC comp on. My engine seems to run cold so the thermostat is getting replaced next, but so far I'm out of ideas.

Is this about the normal range or any suggestions for improvement?

RM

Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Why does my MPG suck?

I think I know what the problem is...do you have a green oval on your grill? This tends to cause bad gas mileage.

J/K 10 to 13 in town is normal. Get some new Bosch fusion plugs and Magnacor wires. Might help a little..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Bad 02 sensors can cause bad milaege. Is the air filter clean? Is the engine light on?

Willie

Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Mudding

I just put 22gal of 92* in my tank today and checked my mpg for the first time on my newly aquired 03', with just 33k and up to date maintenance= 11mpg,driving around busySan Francisco with some freeway and some rural twisty mountain roads up the coast. Like you I've been extremely light-footed.

I'm gonna try removing that green oval and see if that helps

Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

RM,
What plugs and wires, what timing setting?
I agree, even though you don't have what most people consider the normal 100,000 miles on your truck yet, I would consider the 02 replacement a possibility also. You might also considering having a shop take a look at your exhaust, see if you are running too rick.
Let me know, I am curious to see what is going on.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Not believing that there is much difference between the 1994 and 1998.
With that said, I have been keeping up with all the maintenance on my 98 disco, 128K and I have been getting between 15 - 17 mpg local and 18 - 19 highway.
I have also been using K&N paper air filters for the tuck. They seem to help a little better over the rubber style. They do need to be replace a little more often.
I have not noticed a diffence from the 90 oct to 93 oct in the fuel. If there is a difference it must be small.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling

I wrote "HONDA" with a crayon over the hood but I only got an extra 2mpg. But seriously, I'm using crappy wires, not magnacore, bosch plat 2+, filter clean, throttle body clean. No engine light, just ABS light always on due to a bad pad replacement by last owner. You guys think a thermostat issue would do it?

Here's how my thermo acts: slightly above cold after 45min of city driving. Then it goes up to the halfway point. Last night I turned on the heater for the first time this season and the temp dropped to almost cold. I cycled a few times and it did the same thing. Could this cause the engine to run so rich as to drop my mpg? I supposed it can't hurt to swap out the O2 sensor. Is it as simple as it appears or can I screw things up with the ECU with an O2 change?

RM

Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Your internal engine temp should be pretty constant once at operating temp, your temp needle shouldn't move like that. Are you sure you thermostat isn't stuck and/or fan is running constantly? This might explain the temp and would certainly make gas mileage a little worse.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Change the T-stat. I think if you fan clutch was hung, you would know it. It would sound like you got a lion stuck in your evgine compartment and feel like you were dragging him...

You should have2 O2 sensors, rights? You should feel a good boost replacing them.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6729.cfm

I just got a set of Magnacors, and I can tell a good bit of difference over the OEM bosch wires.

Change the T-stat, then you may try the O2's......you are close enough..

Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not knowing where you live, I have to ask do you have to use
Ethanol?
I was getting 13 to 14mpg intown untilI have been using a P.C.
fuel Ethanol at10% I have found that I get 15% less mpg's.
So it takes 5% more 93 to burn the Ethanol.
I now get 11mpg or so.
I have less power runs ruff.
All that is gone when I get real fuel but as I live where the government mandated the bad fuel,,,, well you get my point.
Tires will make a difference.

Quick Reply: Why does my MPG suck?