Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it hard to turn when differential locked?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it hard to turn when differential locked?

I have a 2004 Disco II, S and with my differential is locked it is extremely difficult to make a sharp turn. I tried turning into a parking space at about 5mph and it felt like the tires where losing traction and the truck sort of shuddered. Is this normal?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes that is normal, it does that because both the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and trying to turn at the same speed.
Trying to make tight turns with the CDL locked will bind up the drivetrain...not good.
Whenever you make a turn all four wheels turn at different speeds, when you go in a straight line they all turn at the same speed.
Same thing with the driveshafts, unless they are locked together.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes that is normal, it does that because both the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and trying to turn at the same speed.
Trying to make tight turns with the CDL locked will bind up the drivetrain...not good.
Whenever you make a turn all four wheels turn at different speeds, when you go in a straight line they all turn at the same speed.
Same thing with the driveshafts, unless they are locked together.
In other words you should only have your CDL locked when on loose surfaces such as Mud, Dirt, Gravel, Snow, Ice, ect...

Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
In other words you should only have your CDL locked when on loose surfaces such as Mud, Dirt, Gravel, Snow, Ice, ect...
Correct, keep it unlocked when on dry roads.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Better yet, read your owners manual from to rear about 3 time so you get a better idea what you are driving. If you don't have a manual, order one today, seriously, the cost of a new manual will be a lot less them some major expense caused because you didn't know what something was.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Not picking on you kcferna, but I really don't like it when Rover owners ask questions when the answer is in the owner's manual. It's called "OWNER'S MANUAL" for a reason. I experience this too much on a personal level.

And like Disco Mike said. For newbies, it should be read about 3 times front to back and then every 6 months to brush up or as needed.

If you don't have one or lost it, then YOUR 1st question on this forum should be, "Where can I get the owner's manual?" Actually don't ask that either, search for it.

BUT in case you read this before searching, here it is online.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/handbooks_Etc.html

or

get the holy bible

http://landroverresource.com/

Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i get it...read the manual. I do own the manual as I bought the truck with 10 miles on it and can benefit from a deeper dive into the content. Point taken.

I almost never use the CDL or ever have to use it except to make sure it works every so often. In my defense, the manual doesn't describe this lack of traction when turning with CDL engaged...or warn against it. It does say that the CDL should not be used when one or more of the wheel are slipping which sort of threw me off since I thought this is when it should be used.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Team Owner

When you are turning like that you are not loosing traction, you are "skipping" the front wheels.
In order to turn the out side wheel must move faster than the inside wheel, with the CDL locked they cant do that so the "skip", this will tear them up fast as well as your driveline.
You are doing well by making sure your CDL works once a month, just dont use it on dry roads.