Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is my back end so low in my rover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:02 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my back end so low in my rover?

I just bought a used 2001 LR Discovery. Ive noticed that in the morning my back end is really low to the ground. When I start it up and give it a minute,it balances out to normal. Is this normal or is something wrong? Also where can I find a manuel for it?
Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: why is my back end so low in my rover?

well i got some bad news for you. you have air suspension in your disco. you got a slow leak in your system for your rear suspension. costly to fix but from what i hear its worth it as far as ride quality. but you could always switch to coils if you want.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When it is raised up, spray it with a dishsoap and water mix. Then look for air bubbles to find the leak. It could be in the bags, or just an air line. I hear arnott induaties makes great replacements that are cheaper than factory and have a lifetime warranty. If you just bought it, take it back to where you got it and have the dealer fix it. Almost every state has a 30 day 50/50 warranty. If it is an LR dealer, they should take care of it..

Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
4th Gear

Any idea on approximate cost to fix, and what can happen if I do nothing?

Old 02-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eventually you will loose your bags and it will be on the ground. Drive it with it on the ground, and you could lose your rear shaft and tear things up.

The bags are about $130 a piece and should be replaced in pairs. A regular spring conversion is around $350. I would keep the air suspension. Spraying the soap on the suspension and air lines is easy, and it could just be a fitting loose, but with your mileage, it is probably a bag. DiscoMike has airbags, and should be on and will know more about this.

It isn't too costly to fix, and you can get a good warranty and ride. I would get a handle on it, because as they say, pay now, or pay more later.

www.rover-renovations.com has air suspension parts, and they used to send out the RAVE manual for free on CD. You can google it and download for free, if you want. If you are halfway mechanical and have some tools, this isn't hard to do..

Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: tinwoman

Any idea on approximate cost to fix, and what can happen if I do nothing?
Call me and I will try to walk you thru what to look for and where to take it. Do not continue to drive it, you don't wqant to burn up the pump in the process.
303-862-7680
Colorado before 8 pm