Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Why Spend the $$$$? Regular vs Premium (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/why-spend-%24%24%24%24-regular-vs-premium-19166/)

unimoged 01-22-2009 09:27 PM

Why Spend the $$$$? Regular vs Premium

My 2000 SD has been devouring regular unleaded at 15 MPG for the last 60,000 miles with no performance issues whatsoever like pinging, starting, power loss or anything else.

I maintain it religiously but I drive it hard and it runs as good as the 2004 SE7, that I bought 3 weeks ago.

Doing the math on savings:
[ul][*]60,000 miles / 15 MPG = 4,000 Gallons used.[*]4,000 Gallons X 30 cents per gallon difference = 1,200 dollars in my pocket. [/ul]
It is hard to imagine 4,000 gallons used or 28,000 lbs (for the folks that fly aircraft).

Has anyone used regular unleaded for thousands of miles. Any problems?

Contemplating placing the SE7 on the same diet. Any recommendations?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12736/5849729999CF45469313BF37B29CDFD5.jpg[/IMG]

sloppyjoe 01-22-2009 09:35 PM

RE: Why Spend the $$$$? Regular vs Premium

when looking to buy my 04' i read of several people who after long periods of time having large amounts of carbon build up from regular fuel.

secondary benefits are the cleaner longer burn mean better mileage and more efficient power made.

lrd2 01-22-2009 10:12 PM

i have used mid grade gas for 15k miles and now i need 4 new o2 sensors plus like 9mph so i will continue using premium its only like 10 cents of a diffrence

Jupiter Rover 01-22-2009 10:15 PM

Factor this in.

You get better MPG with Premium. You will save more money with premium.

sloppyjoe 01-22-2009 10:16 PM

i can run 87 in my ferrari and my ducati,,,

does not mean that i should,,,,

Jupiter Rover 01-22-2009 10:24 PM

I read that fast and thought you said you run 87 in your ferrari and ducati. I was about to blow a fuse.

sloppyjoe 01-22-2009 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Jupiter Rover

I read that fast and thought you said you run 87 in your ferrari and ducati. I was about to blow a fuse.

hahahhahahhaha that would blow a few around here

hazletbassist89 01-22-2009 11:03 PM

There's 2 things you didn't factor though. You're getting 15 mpg on 87. If you ran 91 or preferably 93 you'd probably get about 18 mpg. And also you have to remember that these engines aren't designed to run on regular, they wear prematurely, don't put out as much power, and gunk up very quickly when running regular, so our all ready high maintenance is increased by using premium. Believe me, I ran 87 for a year because I just didn't know better, and noticed a HUGE difference in fuel economy and power immediately, and now I'm really starting to notice the difference in maintenance.

Bottom line is, the manual says use premium, use premium.

Disco Fuego 01-22-2009 11:15 PM

Hi all,
So what about the fact that our Rovers should be world travelers? What would happen when we drive down to Central and South America and run on poor gas for 20K miles? Could that cause problems with the electronics? What could I do to prevent those problems? Octane boosters? I wouldn't want to drive with my trunk full of Octane boosters either... And I definitely don't want to prove the people right that told me I should have bought a Land Cruiser instead!;);)
Cheers!

NiteTrain 01-23-2009 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: lmvanhulst

Hi all,
So what about the fact that our Rovers should be world travelers? What would happen when we drive down to Central and South America and run on poor gas for 20K miles? Could that cause problems with the electronics? What could I do to prevent those problems? Octane boosters? I wouldn't want to drive with my trunk full of Octane boosters either... And I definitely don't want to prove the people right that told me I should have bought a Land Cruiser instead!;);)
Cheers!
step 1: buy a TDI rover
step 2: drive to central or south america ;)