Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you picked Disco over Defender

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Sure people do it all the time the problem is that there is a glut of beat old defenders over in England/europe and in order to get a good one you either have to pay a premium and go with an importer on this end (to take the risk) , fly over and pick out your truck or take your chances with someone's description.
$4-5k was a quote from an importer, but just for them to get it from point A to point B, and handleing all customs work.

But you are right, one would have to pick out the vehicle themselves. Taking someone elses word is a dice roll at best

On the other side, if you got $17-19k in it, and put a few grand in it when it gets here, you'd still be well ahead

Last edited by kenk; 10-11-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Mudding

i see... i never thought about that. I guess once the new US friendly Defender comes, if they will not screw it up, it should be quite popular. Damn politics and their limits.
I would gladly help someone to get his defender if i could. Not sure how.
I drove new disco but defender was just love on first sight. I didnt even sit in it yet and i knew i had to have it for whatever deal with devil i had to sign (poor chick and such).
Funny is that you so rarely see them here on street. They are pricey here too 36-40k Eur for new one with some basic stuffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28i3R0AY1s4

Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two Defenders for sale in Wisconsin at Fields LR near Milwaukee. One black one yellow.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:47 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sn1987
i see... i never thought about that. I guess once the new US friendly Defender comes, if they will not screw it up, it should be quite popular. Damn politics and their limits.
I would gladly help someone to get his defender if i could. Not sure how.
I drove new disco but defender was just love on first sight. I didnt even sit in it yet and i knew i had to have it for whatever deal with devil i had to sign (poor chick and such).
Funny is that you so rarely see them here on street. They are pricey here too 36-40k Eur for new one with some basic stuffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28i3R0AY1s4

That video is awesome!
I think if Defenders were ever sold in the US, they would sell quite well. However, i'm afraid hollywood would get ahold of them and we'd see pimped out Defenders running around....

Old 10-11-2009, 02:04 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
That video is awesome!
I think if Defenders were ever sold in the US, they would sell quite well. However, i'm afraid hollywood would get ahold of them and we'd see pimped out Defenders running around....
you are exactly correct. which is why i hope they dont come here.

i would rather bust my but to buy a defender from overseas to use as a proper off road rig then to have every wannabee yuppie thug rollin through town in a defender on 24 inch wheels with tires that are soooo thin they look painted on.

im getting angry thinking about it.like the disco i saw the other day with 22's on it grrrrrr

Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Mudding

lol i know what you mean. but on other side, you shouldnt care less for other people. maybe they can keep diesel there even for 2011 and those people would skip them if they would not have their V8 available :-)

When i seen movie John Tucker Must Die (with awesome Arielle Kebel) i already thought Defender is taken as alternative to fashionable car in the US...

Old 10-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, just added that vid to my fav's.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Cause I was after the upscale S.U.V look with the Land Rover Panache and prestige, and the defender is too much Jeep Wrangler-ish to me. In fact, Now that Jeep makes a 4 door unlimited Wrangler, I have no attraction whatsoever towards a 110.

My Disco is Turning 10 soon, and I gat as much looks and wowish!!!! attention than I did when I first got it. The D2s are as close as timeless as can be.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Darover
Cause I was after the upscale S.U.V look with the Land Rover Panache and prestige, and the defender is too much Jeep Wrangler-ish to me. In fact, Now that Jeep makes a 4 door unlimited Wrangler, I have no attraction whatsoever towards a 110.

My Disco is Turning 10 soon, and I gat as much looks and wowish!!!! attention than I did when I first got it. The D2s are as close as timeless as can be.

wow. that left me speechless.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and have never seen a Defender in North Texas. I saw 1 in Colorado Springs in March on a business trip and it was in excellent condition. I only dreamed....I bought my Disco in December for $4700 and it is a 7 on a 1-10 scale.

Quick Reply: Why you picked Disco over Defender