Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife Disabled the Engine with Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wife Disabled the Engine with Alarm

My wife drove the 97 Disco 1 to work today so I could do some maintenance on her 525. She gets off work and calls me to inform me the Disco will not start. All the lights work and the red light on the instrument panel is flashing. I drive out to her work and check it out. She said she used the key to lock the doors and as she was walking off the alarm went off. She unlocked the doors with the key fob and put the key in the ignition and the alarm kept going off. She locked the doors with the fob and the alarm went off again. She unlocked the doors with the key fob and the alarm kept going off, she locked the doors and after a short time the alarm stopped. When I checked it out the red light on the instrument panel was flashing, everything works except the ignition, the key fob locks and unlocks the doors. I tried unlocking the doors with the key, but the red light keeps flashing. The wierd thing is that I bought this Disco 3 months ago and the red light has never flashed, even when I locked the doors. I have never used the key to lock the doors, just the fob. I searched the archives and didn't see anything useful.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:04 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

To reset the alarm do 3 lock/unlock cycles. I don't have a remote so I always use the key but I believe it will work with the remote also. I am having the exact same problem with my 97 right now and was told that I have a bad lock actuator. Rather than taking the time to pinpoint exactly which door is causing the problem I am replacing them all. I figure that the truck is 12 years old so if one is going bad the rest can't be far behind. Roverland parts has the guaranteed used actuators for a good price.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Tried the 3 unlock cycles with the door lock. The doors unlock, but the alarm will not disable. The key fob will lock the doors and unlock the doors, but will not disable tha alarm either. The red led on the instrument panel never flashed before yesterday. I do not know what woke up the alarm, but now it has its teeth locked on the Disco.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 PM
TReK

I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Okay, tried the 3 lock unlock cycles and it worked. However, no blinking LED light when alarm is enabled. I locked the Disco with the window down and then reached in and unlocked the door and presto, LED light flashes and horn honks. Could the LED not flashing when the alarm is set be a spider issue?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There are more than one level of alarm on LR's, there is a "soft", "normal" and "super" lock modes.
Do you have a owners manual? The different modes are in there.
I believe that if you lock the door with the key and hold it in the lock position for 5 seconds the truck will super lock, light flashes and starter and fuel pump are disabled.
Normal mode starter is disabled and light flashes.
Not sure about the soft mode.
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
If the truck still will not start then unhook the battery and leave it over night.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:30 PM
TReK

There is nothing in the owner's manual for a D1 about super lock. Turning the key and holding it for 5 seconds will lock the doors but not arm the alarm. The D2 manual talks about superlocking by pushing the remote button twice or turning the key in the lock twice within one second. D2 manual also mentions a bathrobe lock (soft lock?) that allows the vehicle to be started and left running and the doors locked. The only reset I found mentioned for a D1 is to turn the ignition on and off twice.

Time to read the manual again, Spike?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
There is nothing in the owner's manual for a D1 about super lock. Turning the key and holding it for 5 seconds will lock the doors but not arm the alarm. The D2 manual talks about superlocking by pushing the remote button twice or turning the key in the lock twice within one second. D2 manual also mentions a bathrobe lock (soft lock?) that allows the vehicle to be started and left running and the doors locked. The only reset I found mentioned for a D1 is to turn the ignition on and off twice.

I thought all the superlock did was deadbolt the doors so they couldn't be opened from either inside or out. I always do it as a force of habit. Some bastard goes through the trouble of breaking a window, his *** is going to have to go through the trouble of climbing through it too. Maybe by that time I'll have drawn a bead on his ***.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover

See, I keep telling you guys that I dont know anything but you keep asking me questions.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling

It keeps the thread going Spike...At least I now know the alarm works, but some jerk theif will not know its armed since the led light doesn't flash until the alarm goes off.

Quick Reply: Wife Disabled the Engine with Alarm