Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife ran it emtpy, Won't start now

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife ran it emtpy, Won't start now

Hey everybody, my wife ran our 1998 Disco out of gas. I put 5 gallons in it and can't get it to start. Could the fuel pump go out at the same time? Pulled the line off before the filter and turned the key on, no fuel come out. No pressure in the injector tube valve.

Many thanks
San Diego

Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

First things first never let your wife drive your Discovery. There is something about this combination that makes these vehicles "mysteriously" malfunction. I think it is a jealousy thing, not to mention getting the full story of exactly what happened before the problem started is next to impossible.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
First things first never let your wife drive your Discovery. There is something about this combination that makes these vehicles "mysteriously" malfunction. I think it is a jealousy thing, not to mention getting the full story of exactly what happened before the problem started is next to impossible.
" i dont know how long that light thingy was on. i wasnt paying attention"

Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to reset the inertia switch. I believe it gets tripped when you run empty. Read the manual I believe it mentions that. I had to tell my wife to pay attention when she overheated ours twice because of a coolant leak (put some effin' coolant in, it's in the back!). Fixed that problem though.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-07-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 AM
4wd Low

X2, Inertia Switch.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:13 AM
4wd High

I pushed the black boot switch on the fire wall, had no response. Can I by pass it? The car is parked on the street about 4 mile away. Hoping to trouble shoot there, not to have to tow it home to fix it. I think she thinks the red light on the fuel gauge mean she still has gas!

San Diego

Old 08-07-2009, 07:20 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So does your truck turn over and everything? All the other electrical systems appear to work? Check the fuel pump fuse either in the box under the wheel or in the engine bay.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 AM
4wd High

Everything is O.K. put a little fuel in the intake starts right up, check the pump relay- fuse by the battery are theses the some? Haven't check the fuse inside yet. These cars don't get vapor lock do they?

Many Thanks
San Diego

Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Replace your fuel filter, since she sucked so much crap from the bottom of the tank, then check and replace the fuse. Check with a test probe to see if the pump is getting any voltage the first 3 or 4 seconds after you turn the key to the start position.
Then get back to us.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by supremei
I pushed the black boot switch on the fire wall, had no response. Can I by pass it? The car is parked on the street about 4 mile away. Hoping to trouble shoot there, not to have to tow it home to fix it. I think she thinks the red light on the fuel gauge mean she still has gas!

San Diego

Try bypassing it. A DI i am currently working on won't start unless the inertia switch is bypassed. The switch on the DI is bad. This is what it looked like when it came to me.

Quick Reply: Wife ran it emtpy, Won't start now