Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will OME 2" lift without tire upsize look silly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I am kinda between a rock and a hard place, because I dont really want to increase my MPG any more than what it i now, but it looks like going with a 2" lift is actually cheaper than going back to stock.. My shocks are shot so I want to do the springs at the same time since Im at 150k.. I dont want the new shocks to wear prematurely.

Last edited by John Frederick; 03-25-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@overover02 thanks... I did opt for the OME HD setup on the front... I have SLS rear and used ToddCo Spacers there... NitoroCharger shocks all around, and an OME steering stabilizer.

I have a Heavy Duty Hard Labor Creek Fabrications winch front bumper and I tow with the Rover... So, I wanted the HD front springs to help carry the weight of the bumper and the winch and to help eliminate nose dive under braking when towing...

Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
@overover02 thanks... I did opt for the OME HD setup on the front... I have SLS rear and used ToddCo Spacers there... NitoroCharger shocks all around, and an OME steering stabilizer.

I have a Heavy Duty Hard Labor Creek Fabrications winch front bumper and I tow with the Rover... So, I wanted the HD front springs to help carry the weight of the bumper and the winch and to help eliminate nose dive under braking when towing...
Good to know... and thanks for clarifying. I'll be ordering my 2" OME HD lift as soon as I get back from vacation (Colorado bound tomorrow). I'm so looking forward to 'finally' getting some work done on my 02'. This forum has been been a ton of help for me as I've spent countless hours reading through old posts and looking at tons of pictures. Lots of good stuff/people on here...

Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I don't think you will "increase" your mpg with an aftermarket suspension upgrade. You probably won't decrease it either unless you add a bunch of weight or gear to the roof.

I went with the OME MD lift (see signature) in the hopes of getting close to the factory designed ride and while many on here think their OME HD ride is "great" even the MD with Nitrocharger Sport shocks is harsher (on pavement) than original stock was. Even after 10,000 miles... though it is getting better.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-26-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I just went back to stock springs from the OME Medium Springs. So I am now running Sport shocks with stock springs.

My initial reaction is positive. The OME's are great, but I notice that the softer springs are giving me a quieter and softer ride through the city. I thought I may feel low after lowering, but driving it feels the same. Haven't noticed the cornering being affected either.

If you are interested in a good ride I would think new springs and the OME Sport Shocks would satisfy. Much better that with stock shocks.

edit, what I meant to say was stock shocks.

Last edited by CollieRover; 05-14-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I just went back to stock springs from the OME Medium Springs. So I am now running Sport shocks with stock springs.

My initial reaction is positive. The OME's are great, but I notice that the softer springs are giving me a quieter and softer ride through the city. I thought I may feel low after lowering, but driving it feels the same. Haven't noticed the cornering being affected either.

If you are interested in a good ride I would think new springs and the OME Sport Shocks would satisfy. Much better that with stock springs.
What stock height springs did you use? Where did you get them from?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by John Frederick
The front were marked red/purple, and the the rear were marked orange/grey and the other only purple. The rave manual has more info on them, and . I have an SE7 and it is sitting properly. From the Rave it appears I have a 5 seaters springs, but it does not seem to make a difference at all.

I found them on ebay as it is a temp swap while it is my daily driver, or until I get a steel bumper. They are in good condition. Not a lot of rust, and from the bolts and the condition of the spring isolator they were not used a lot or not harshly anyway.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by John Frederick
That post was misleading. I meant to say that OME Sport Shocks with Stock Springs feel s great to me, and much quieter. The stock shocks I had, albeit years ago and worn, were terrible in comparison to the sport shocks. So if you want a better ride I think stock OEM springs with OME Sport Shocks are a good way to go.

I read that Terrafirma makes light springs that may perform better than OEM, but I have no experience with them.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 285 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
That post was misleading. I meant to say that OME Sport Shocks with Stock Springs feel s great to me, and much quieter. The stock shocks I had, albeit years ago and worn, were terrible in comparison to the sport shocks. So if you want a better ride I think stock OEM springs with OME Sport Shocks are a good way to go.

I read that Terrafirma makes light springs that may perform better than OEM, but I have no experience with them.
I have the Terra Firma 2" medium-duty springs just installed on the Disco last week.

I upgraded the springs from the factory stock springs as I had installed rear jump seats in the back. Plus, I am in the process of adding a custom bumper with front 12K winch, fuel tank skid plate, chassis skid plate and diff locks.

I discussed the medium-duty versus heavy-duty spring with Justin at Lucky8. My use is primarily commuting (wifey's car) with the ocassional weekend off-roading. He recommended the progressive rate, medium duty springs. I tested the truck out after the lift, but before the custom bumper and winch was installed. It rides pretty well. One of the key factors affecting ride quality is the selection of progressive/variable rate springs versus constant rate.

I post additional feedback on the ride quality when the custom bumper and winch project is completed this weekend.

P/S.
I will be sticking with the 255/55R18 Toyo AT tires and Hurricane wheels as I had just bought these new tires 6 months ago.

Attached Thumbnails Will OME 2" lift without tire upsize look silly?-img-20140505-00061.jpg