Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the same front driveshaft work before doing a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Will the same front driveshaft work before doing a lift?

I’m in a situation where I want to be able to start the engine soon, but I may have had a front driveshaft that’s failing and I didn’t realize it. I heard some chirping, but thought it might be pulleys, so I got the AB kit (tensioner and two idler pulleys), but it could’ve been the driveshaft. I don’t want that thing to tear everything apart and I’m worried that’ll happen when I start up, so I think I need to deal with it somehow.

The issue is that I’m at stock height and stock tire size, but I had challenges and limitations off-roading here where it’s rocky and mountainous, so I wanted to add some lift and get bigger tires. My tires are nearly slicks anyway. I’m confused if I can get the driveshaft, install it now and if it’ll be fine with the lift - I wasn’t thinking anything extreme at all and nothing that requires trimming metal, but I wouldn’t mind cutting parts of the original plastic bumpers and whatnot that need to go anyway since they’re falling apart, as long as the replacement bumpers tend to be made to stay out of the way.

I’d wondered about the quality of the original driveshaft and if it made more sense to rebuild it, but maybe I’ll check the price the person I know in the next county wants to do that and might look into the process and tools needed for doing it myself if it’s something I can manage.

I’m confused about the options Tom Woods has - S vs X spline and the XC vs XB. I’m guessing I need the $429 one in the top right.

Thanks for all the guidance

Old 08-27-2023, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a TW front and it looks like the $429 one. I got it from LUCKY8. So far it has been fine. Others have had some issues. I don't remember the options S/X/XC/XB

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (08-27-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 08:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I responded in your other thread, but I will respond here as well for future searchers.

Does the chirping happen while the truck is moving only, or also while it is stationary? While moving means it is in the drivetrain and driveshaft is a good guess, while stationary means it's something driven directly off of the engine most commonly in the accessory drive. An idler (I've had several make noise fresh out of the box), your alternator, etc.

If you're going to do your driveshaft, just find a local driveline shop and have them replace your universal joints and the centering ball. Stock driveline is perfectly adequate in these rigs - I wheel hard and I'm still on stock drivelines with 3" lift and 35s. You'll come out a lot cheaper than the TW's shaft, and a lot better off than the cheap L8 or similar shafts.

The following users liked this post:
ahab (08-28-2023)