Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winch bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you can save a ton if you build yourself one... just takes initiative... i've been too lazy to build my own but i welded recovery points onto my stock bumper...

Old 05-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another place, I'm going to get my sliders from these guys, local for me.

www.hardlaborcreekfabrication.com

Old 05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Bottorf Fabrication

I don't have one yet, but some of the other MVLRS members have bumpers and sliders from Nate at Bottorf Fabrication. http://www.bottorf-fabrication.com/ They are happy with them.

He has more stuff than what is listed online, so give him a call if you don't see what you want. Just one more option for you.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Spike,
So how about we take some of my front bumper and your ideas and design you on.
Must admit Mike, I do like the look of your bumper Currently in 2 minds which to get myself, either TJM or ARB, or even the factory GCC spec bumper.........Both the ARB and TJM are so costly tho

heres a couple of piccys of my sliders with jack points and tree bars that also act as steps to stop the Mrs hanging on the snorkel to get in lol

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 05-02-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

TJM is out of business.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Spike,
So how about we take some of my front bumper and your ideas and design you on.
I like your bumper Mike, where did you get it?
The only problem with making one is that I have no way to do it, I dont have welding equip or anything like that.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Made it. With all your connection, you must know a shop that does metal work. I can walk you thru what to have them do along with whatever personal changes you want.
You have my number call me sometime and we can talk about it.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

But what scares me is that when I had my sand ladders made they cost me as much as if I had bought them from a off road shop.
I think they offer more traction than the store bought ones but they are heavier because they are steel and not aluminum.
I had them made for my FedEx van and I used the hell out of them in the winter time.
I will call you in the next day or two Mike and I will pick your brain.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Default My bumper in progress

Hey there Spike,

I made mine in an afternoon. I still have some finishing things to do, but any person with a chop saw, torch and stick (or MIG or TIG) welder could reproduce this VERY easily. It was inspired by Mikes, but it is somewhat less elaborate and relatively light I could easily mount a winch plate on the inside of the bumper, cut a hole and mount the fairlead on the outside, but it is my wife's daily driver, so I'll do that when I buy her an '04 and this becomes our toy.
It is 2"X6"x 1/4" steel tubing and the mounting bracket is 3/8" thick X 4" wide flat bar. I welded the mounting bracket directly to the bumper and saved quite a bit of steel compared to Mike's. His is sweet though and the pictures of his build are AWESOME! His build saved me a ton of time in R and D.
My material cost was about $100.00 including beer!
I'll send you a PM and give me a call.
Most welders are hungry right now and if you supply the material and beer, someone will do it VERY inexpensively.

Attached Thumbnails winch bumper-bumper1.jpg   winch bumper-bumper2.jpg   winch bumper-bumper3.jpg  

Last edited by stu44mag; 05-04-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling

By the way, the front end of my Disco only dropped about 1/16" if at all and the suspension is completely bone stock. There is absolutely NO change in the handling of the truck either. When I make it my toy, I'll do a lift with HD springs, extra battery, etc. I will put recovery points, grill guard, headlight guard etc. as soon as I have another afternoon to kill. I used .99 a can spray enamel I bought from Home Depot (I like shiny!) and it looks great. I know the pics show some holidays, but that was a hurry job just to coat it. I'll give it a nice rattle can finish after love bug season here in Florida.
I sent you a PM too.

Quick Reply: winch bumper