Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winch bumpers. need insight

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SpdDemon426
What do you guys think of a winch like this on a hi country 3 hoop winch bumper? Do any type of car/truck winches mount on these things or would one need something more specific? The only thing that makes me skeptical is that its priced pretty cheap at 9000lbs capacity when i've seen some WARN ones that are over 1000 dollars.

I assumed the winches came with the bumpers...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1901_200381901

LOOKS GOOD !!
we've sold or serviced a lot of winches here at our shop and IMO WARN has the best product. I think some of the other brands "overestimate" their capacities, and WARN stands behind their product better than most of the others.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
http://www.hlcfab.com/ check these guys out i think you'll agree that they make some awesome looking bumpers, without sacrificing toughness.

Wow... it looks like you could run clean over an IED with that thing... I've been in MIL hummers with less plating...

Old 11-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
LOOKS GOOD !!
we've sold or serviced a lot of winches here at our shop and IMO WARN has the best product. I think some of the other brands "overestimate" their capacities, and WARN stands behind their product better than most of the others.
Looks "ok" to me, but has a poor design in the central hoop, its to wide and blocks some of the headlight which is not a good thing in a Disco.

ARB still wins for me as I would like it to look good to, anyone can "knock" up a good strong mounting / bumper, but generally they look s*h*i*t*e....

TJM is the other option Im considering as they have a slightly better approach angle than the ARB's do.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Looks "ok" to me, but has a poor design in the central hoop, its to wide and blocks some of the headlight which is not a good thing in a Disco.

ARB still wins for me as I would like it to look good to, anyone can "knock" up a good strong mounting / bumper, but generally they look s*h*i*t*e....

TJM is the other option Im considering as they have a slightly better approach angle than the ARB's do.

Have you checked out Eric Burrows custom steel bumper? That is something i would def like to try, i think it looks awesome (1st design) and with the right machinery you can make your own custom hoops..

Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Personally, I would prefer a TJM or ARB as well. I do like the aesthetics of both of those better than anything else out there. Unfortunately, we can't get TJM in the states any longer.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, just found a great deal on an ARB bumper for '03-'04 Disco's at Rusty's Offroad. I never even thought to look at these guys because in the past I have and they were all Jeep. They are still focused on Jeep, but do have the ARB bumper that I want for $900. Plus, due to their location, I can just take a short drive and pick up the bumper instead of having it shipped. Here's the link.Rusty's Offroad

Old 11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Curious
Ok, just found a great deal on an ARB bumper for '03-'04 Disco's at Rusty's Offroad. I never even thought to look at these guys because in the past I have and they were all Jeep. They are still focused on Jeep, but do have the ARB bumper that I want for $900. Plus, due to their location, I can just take a short drive and pick up the bumper instead of having it shipped. Here's the link.Rusty's Offroad

i saw that before that is an awesome price and i love that bumper

Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Rock Crawling

I'll be ordering mine as soon as my insurance check arrives. The adjuster came by today, and with that price, I'll be able to get all the parts I need without even having to pay my deductible, especially with the savings on freight by being able to pick up. The guy I talked to at Rusty's said there is no listed expiration date on that price, so it should be good for a while. Expedition Exchange had theirs priced at $890 last Friday, but then Saturday morning, it was back to $1152.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 PM
8th Gear
Default ARB Bumper and Winch Options

I didn't want to start a new thread and this looked right on topic. I have the ARB (airbag compatible) and am wondering, outside of Warn, what winches have people had success mounting? I have had very good luck with Ramsey's and Superwinch am looking to stay in the 9000lbs range.

As DiscoMike mentioned a while back, I agree that the ARB is quite nice looking but I have noticed a decreased approach angle than the RTE bumpers offer and having gone back I would have gone that route.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

before i got my warn, i was set on getting a superwinch off amazon cuz of the free shipping. now i had my warn and used it, i don't think i would chance getting anything else.

Quick Reply: winch bumpers. need insight