Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window issue, failed inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window issue, failed inspection

My front passenger window isn't working well. It gets stuck after opening about 2 inches. If I apply a bit of pressure from the inside of window it goes down fine. Goes up fine too. Any ideas? It seems misaligned or something. Thanks

Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess would be that the nylon wheel riveted to the metal track is either broken or needs some grease.

The following users liked this post:
weepit (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove the door panel and do some investigating. Time to get your hands dirty…

Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by june82000
Remove the door panel and do some investigating. Time to get your hands dirty…
I did. It's all covered in plastic so I figured I'd ask before removing plastic.

Russ, I will look into that wheel, thanks

Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plastic is the water shed protector- carefully peel back, then inspect

Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

For some reason there is a hole in the tracks that catches the stud left over when the nylon wheel breaks. Really irritating. I'm sure that's what it is.

I'm irritated at my driver side window for the same reason.

There is a fix it for the messed up roller.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Mudding

Okay, I'll peel back plastic carefully tomorrow.

Charlie, I'm not clear what you mean by a fix it for the roller? Thanks

Old 08-14-2015, 12:41 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by weepit
Okay, I'll peel back plastic carefully tomorrow.

Charlie, I'm not clear what you mean by a fix it for the roller? Thanks
You can get a specific nylon washer (x3) from Lowes and they press over the stud, or a member has a cheap, even better, roller that will fix and last forever. I'll find the thread. I have a bag of the washers in my truck, waiting for ME to peel back the plastic. 78 cents for four.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Here is one... I tried this and messed it up.

These reportedly work.

Well darn I can't find the others, but I will.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-14-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You could challange the failure. Here are the inspection regs for Mass. http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawl...mr/540cmr4.pdf

The only ones that applies to the pass window are (a) & (g). You could argue that the window is in place, its just not functioning.

(8) Glazing, Mirrors and Windshield Wiper(s).
(a) All glazing originally equipped on the vehicle must be in place.
(b) Windshield Critical Viewing Area is the area covered by the sweep of the wiper(s) exclusive of the outer two inches within the perimeter of the wiper(s) sweep, provided by the vehicle manufacturer.
(c) Windshields having any of the following defects will be rejected:
1. Any broken glass with sharp or jagged edges inside or outside.
2. Any stone bruise, star break, or bulls eye, damage in excess of one inch in diameter within the critical viewing area or larger than two inches outside the critical viewing area, or multiple such damage.
3. Single line cracks which extend more than three inches into the critical viewing area.
4. Multiple cracks, having one or more which extends into the critical viewing area.
5. Wiper scrape(s) in excess of ¼ inch wide within the critical viewing area.
6. Clouding extending more than three inches within the perimeter of the exposed glass.
7. No poster, sticker decal or any other item shall be attached to the windshield in such a manner so as to obstruct the vision of the operator.
8. Any tinting or reflective material applied by brush, spray, or adhesive which is below the uppermost six inches of the windshield or which may encroach upon the drivers direct forward viewing area. (All such tinting provided by the original manufacturer in compliance with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards is acceptable.)
(d) Rear Windows. Rear windows, if originally equipped, must allow an unobstructed view to the rear, unless the vehicle is equipped with two outside rear view mirrors.
(e) Windshield Wiper(s). Test for Proper Operation. Windshield wipers must work as originally designed. If the vehicle was equipped with two wipers, as furnished by the manufacturer, both must be maintained in good working order. Wiper blades must properly contact the windshield and, be of the same length as those furnished as original equipment.
The rubber elements shall be free from damage or tears.
(f) Windshield Cleaner. If the vehicle was equipped with windshield cleaner equipment as furnished by the manufacturer, units must be maintained in good working order.
(g) Window Tinting. Aftermarket tinting or alterations that do not change the transparency beyond that of the standards set forth in 49 CFR Part 571.205 is acceptable on windows immediately adjacent to the operator and front passenger seat, the windows immediately to the rear of the operator and front passenger seat and the rear window. If the rear window has any aftermarket tinting or alterations, the vehicle must be equipped with two outside rear view mirrors. The windshield may only be tinted down to the AS-1 line usually located in the uppermost six inches of the windshield. 540 CMR 4.04(8)(g) shall not apply to the following:
1. All window tinting as provided by the original manufacturer that is in compliance with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
2. Authorized vehicles used to transport K-9 teams.
3. Vehicles registered out of state.
4. Vehicles for which a medical exemption has been issued by the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
5. All windows to the rear of the operator's seat on vehicles used for public livery, except taxicabs.
6. Any vehicle registered to the federal, state or local law enforcement agencies.
7. Vehicles registered to watch guard or patrol agencies licensed under the provisions of M.G.L. c. 147, § 20 or M.G.L. c. 122, § 63.

Here;s how you challenge the inspection:
For both emissions related and safety issues, you can ask for a challenge test by calling the Vehicle Safety and Compliance Services Department in Quincy at 857-368-8130, and you must complete an Inspection Station Complaint Form (PDF, 34k). A Registry official will review your request and may ask you to return with him or her to that inspection station or a neutral inspection station. If you pass the challenge test, the station that originally issued the Reject sticker to you will provide you with a Certificate of Inspection (sticker.) If you fail the challenge test, you will be charged $35 and your reject sticker will stay affixed to the windshield until the defects are repaired.

Last edited by acamato; 08-14-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Window issue, failed inspection