Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Issue

10 Months ago I had a cracked windshield and had it replaced by SafeLite AutoGlass. The first week after having windshield replaced I noticed air coming past the windshiled, had SafeLite fix their work, less than a week later washed truck and noticed water on inside of windshield, again had them fix their work. (3 windshield in 10 days, profitable?) in the past couple of months I had posted a couple times in regards to wet carpet, got some good direction as where to check (a/c drains, sunroof drains, door seal, etc.) all checked out O.K. all along carpet still getting wet, recently I noticed water stains on interior firewall in front off hood release. So I thought, still having windshield leaking issue's, called SafeLite and they replaced again (now 4 windshields) so this weekend we got a considerable amount of rain, yup wet carpet ....again! Is there something they are missing when installing the windshield which would cause this (?window seal?) frankly, I am tired of pulling the carpet up to dry out and despite my efforts have noticed a musty smell. no dought from consantly saturated carpet. also, anybody think it is worth the time and effort to persue them to relace or fix the carpet/padding issue???

Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windshield Issue

You haven't mention cleaning the rubber seal on which the sunroof glass sits when closed. Had similar issue, and checked all the regular things to looks for like you described.

I found that although the sunroof drains were not clogged, they could not keep up with the flow of heavy downpoors andsome of the water that was there waiting to be evacuated by the drains was making its way in the cab throughthe minimal dirt that was on the seal. So I got my silicone spray lube and gave the seals a good cleaning. In my case, the problem was immediately solved.

Try it. you got nothing to lose.

edit: forgot to add that the inner glass area that lays on the seals will need the same treatment for a prefect sealing effect.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Three Wheeling

I'll treat the seals as you mentioned, however to my knowledge if the sunroofs where leaking my headliner would show evidence of water stain which I do not have.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Hello I just mentioned thisto another forums member. I replace on average two windshields a year. and what I found out fromthe same problem that you are having. make sure theyopenyour door windows. if not, as soon as you slam a door if the sealant is not dryit will blow a hole in the sealant. just enough to cause problems..I don't think it's the seal.
gTAGG