LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 front heated windshield issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lr3 front heated windshield issue

So I go to use it and on 1/2 of the windshield heats up. Exactly half and there are zero chips in the windshield. The dealer said it was a chip. I asked to see the chip. They show me a tiny one right in front of the steering wheel. I said funny that's the side that works. Te tiny spec is also between the filament. It's dead cent of the speaker on the dash where there is a larger gap between the filaments. How does this work. Are there 2 things that kick on to make it work. I don't believe they all work on one sensor to heat up te windshield. Lmk what ideas u have. Thanks kevin

Old 11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll check the manual and get back to you. Check fuse(s). Sounds like a short if half works and half doesn't.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Two thirty amp fuses I think.

In the engine compartment fuse box, I think you will find two green 30 amps fuses, 15E and 18E, one fuse for each side of the windscreen, probably F15E for the right side and F18E for the left side.

I have not had that problem yet so I cannot be certain so I would be interested as well in other comments. I do however have an about 3 inch wide vertical strip that does not work. This is crack related or something like that and not fixable; dealers do not often know much about this "exotic" stuff. I imagine after you paid for a new windscreen that someone would find the fuse problem and resolve that without you ever being told.

If the fuses appear good, then sometimes the connectors that connect to the windscreen, the two positives and two grounds total can be giving a problem. Hopefully it is just a fuse as that is easy to rectify but the connectors, not so.

There is also a black relay, R9, that could be bad but since it controls both halves, the relay is most likely OK.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Awesome thanks for the replies. I will go check right now if someone can point me to the fuse box. I have never looked for it before. Thanks again for the info. I will report back. Going to get the manual.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Just beside the starting battery.

If you have a Left Hand Drive, (generally North and South America plus Europe etc), the engine compartment fuse panel is hidden under a right hand side located cover that also hides the starting battery from view.

The fuse panel has a cover as well so that has to be removed. There is a clip that is sort of difficult to unclip at the front of the fuse panel and a hinge sort of lip at the rear. When the cover is removed, the engine compartment fuse panel looks similar to the jpg below. Click on the thumbnail to make it bigger.

There is a sticker similar to the thumbnail below on the underside of the fuse panel cover that will show you the location of F15E and F18E, which are two of the small slot like narrow fuses with 30 stamped on the tops.

The larger coloured kind of tall rectangular things are called fusible links and the bigger black square bits are the relays, one of them being the R9 relay controlling both sides of the windscreen. That relay should be OK as one of the sides of the windscreen apparently works.

Re naming conventions here on the forum, F is generally used to indicate a fuse, E for the engine compartment fuse box and P for the fuse box behind the lower glove box, also on the passenger side but in the passenger compartment. There is a fairly good writeup on the fuse boxes in the owners manuals. The Land Rover owners books have a surprising amount of info within.

Attached Thumbnails Lr3 front heated windshield issue-imgp0529.jpg   Lr3 front heated windshield issue-fuse-panel-description-vertical-b.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Three Wheeling

you guys are the best....im gonna check it in the morning when i can see better. i pray its just a fuse that would be awesome. Ive had the entire front end relacaed under the ford warranty. well worth the money in my book. My first bill to fix a clunking in the front end was 2900 bux and only paid 3500 for the warranty. best decision ive made in a while. thanks again kevin