Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Issues

I already bought the SilBlades and I'm not impressed; I'm thinking about heading down to Wal-Mart or wherever and picking up some Rainex inserts. For $40, I was expecting more from the SilBlades.

Anyways, I've been pretty frustrated with the wipers on this truck :
[ul][*] When the vehicle is cold and I turn on the windshield wipers, it may take almost a minute for them to react to the input. They really don't start responding well to state changes of the wiper control **** until 5 or 6 minutes after I've started the truck. Is there an ECU that controls the wipers and other auxiliary functions on the truck? Is there any way to remedy this?[*] One of the problems with the wiper blades is that they just don't follow the contour of the windscreen. After taking a closer look, this isn't necessarily the SilBlade's fault, it has more to do with the wiper arms not forcing the wiper blades against the windscreen hard enough. I can pull the wiper arms back from the windscreen and there is quite a bit of resistance in the hinge (not from the spring). If I release them, they settle back towards the windscreen very slowly. I sprayed lubricant on them, but this really didn't seem to help. Is this a common trait of the Disco II wiper arms? Is there a way to remedy this or am I in need of new wiper arms?[*] It seems that my wiper fluid pump is pretty weak. Anyone know of a good replacement that flows a bit more?[*] The rear wiper blade is shot. I suppose there is no replacement besides the Land Rover wiper blade?[*] Has anyone converted their wiper arms to accept a standard wiper blade?
[/ul]

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windshield Wiper Issues

LambChop...

FYI...I have an '01 SE and RainEx did not fit the actual blade...ended up replacing the "rubber insert" only...good luck.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: mwindth

LambChop...

FYI...I have an '01 SE and RainEx did not fit the actual blade...ended up replacing the "rubber insert" only...good luck.
That's what I meant by "inserts", I already made the mistake of buying the whole rain-ex blade.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

opps...my bad...

Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the problems with the wiper blades is that they just don't follow the contour of the windscreen.
There's contour to the Rover's windscreeen? It always looked like flat glass to me, but I could be wrong. I just look through it when I drive.

I picked up a set of Anco blades at Wal-mart and they work great. I got the ones that are framelesss, if that makes sense, and they stick to the windshield really tight.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have one of the first set of Sill Blades on my truck, had them for about 5 plus years and they work fine even here in Denver where it has not been warmer the -8 every morning. So I am still a big fan of them, especially over factory replacement or refills that don't fit.
Now you can go and replace your D2 wiper arms with D1 arms and then you can use whatever you want.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Three Wheeling

I have the same trouble with my wipers. I installed new silblades and wiper arms on my D2 and there are big spots not wiping. Does anybody have the answer for it? Heavier spring? add a spring?

Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I have one of the first set of Sill Blades on my truck, had them for about 5 plus years and they work fine even here in Denver where it has not been warmer the -8 every morning. So I am still a big fan of them, especially over factory replacement or refills that don't fit.
Now you can go and replace your D2 wiper arms with D1 arms and then you can use whatever you want.
The SilBlades seem nice enough, but they don't really seem any better than the blades available at Wal-Mart and local auto parts stores (and those blades are far more available and cheaper).

Do the D1 wiper arms bolt right up without any clearance issues? It seems my wiper arms are binding at the hinge a bit, so I'm thinking a new set of wiper arms would clear up the issue and I'd much rather have the ability fit standard wiper blades.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, your slow to work wipers are because of a bad wiper switch.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...perswitch.aspx
Yes DI wiper arms will bolt on and then you can use wiper blades from any store.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PRC8236.cfm
For your rear wiper any wiper blade from any store will work, you will need to remove the spare tire to replace the wiper blade though.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually managed to replace my rear wiper without removing the spare tire. It is possible to do but the extra time I spent fighting the old wiper off was more than the time it would have taken to remove the spare and then put it back on.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Issues