Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterizing a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing a Disco

I am currently working through the Major Service list but it is going slower than I like because of some other weekend projects I have on the docket. I am in Virginia and winter seems to be arriving early, I was wondering if there are things on the list or other winterizing items that should move up on the list with cold weather just around the corner?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling

I'd make sure your coolant is good to go, and mixed properly. Check your battery, and replace it if its not up to snuff... Cold weather kills the hell out of batterys. I'd also give your tires a once over. Driving on snow and ice with crappy tires is a less than fun experience. Also, depending on how cold it gets where you're at, you may want to change to a lighter weight oil to aid in cold starts.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Oil and filter, a can of B&G's 44K in the tank and a induction cleaning, the rest can probably wait.
Also remember the first couple cold snaps tend to knock the air out of your tires so get them aired up and recheck them in a month.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Heat is a greater killer to batteries than cold, but the electro-chemical process within batteries slows when it is cold, and the engine is harder to crank over.

x2 on tire pressures. For every 10* drop in temperature, your tires will lose 1 psi. (something I learned when selling tires long ago)

Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Put gas in it and drive it.
Check every thing as normal.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBenjamin
I am currently working through the Major Service list but it is going slower than I like because of some other weekend projects I have on the docket. I am in Virginia and winter seems to be arriving early, I was wondering if there are things on the list or other winterizing items that should move up on the list with cold weather just around the corner?
De-Icer washer fluid, good wiper blades, check coolant level.

....and check to make sure your seat heaters work

Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 AM
wrp
Drifting
Default Drive the truck at least once a week in winter

A few years ago during the winters I was leaving our '99 D2 in the driveway without driving it for several weeks at a time. (This was the time when Republicans in power were telling us that $4.50 - $5.00 per gallon of gas was good for the economy.)

That was a bad thing to do: The battery runs down, contacts on switches, relays, internal of electric motors like the side mirrors get corroded and need to be cleaned or exercised, the tires get flat spots.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrp
.......This was the time when Republicans in power were telling us that $4.50 - $5.00 per gallon of gas was good for the economy.....
Based on this, and another post I saw from you about rust, it sounds like you're a little sour about the election results. I'm hear to remind you to relax, the "Chosen One" is still in the White House, you still have the senate, and last I checked you can still flip over to MSNBC and watch "The Ed Show."

Are you one of those people that thinks that "republicans" are all old, rich white guys that hate minorities? I really hope that you're smarter than that.....

Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
wrp
Drifting

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Based on this, and another post I saw from you about rust, it sounds like you're a little sour about the election results. I'm hear to remind you to relax, the "Chosen One" is still in the White House, you still have the senate, and last I checked you can still flip over to MSNBC and watch "The Ed Show."

Are you one of those people that thinks that "republicans" are all old, rich white guys that hate minorities? I really hope that you're smarter than that.....
Ok, ok, I just had a little free time at work, and I had just done a quick eyeball of the undercarriage. I've never seen so much rust and oil on any vehicle. We keep the Disco as a 7-person carrier, as a Home Depot gopher, or as a tower, and I'd like to keep it alive. (That's why I come here)

And I was trying to recall how I happened to put the Disco into the ill-fated mothball state, and mainly it was the $4-$5 gas prices, and then the echoes of repubs saying not to worry it's good for the economy flashed through my mind...

Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrp
Ok, ok, I just had a little free time at work, and I had just done a quick eyeball of the undercarriage. I've never seen so much rust and oil on any vehicle. We keep the Disco as a 7-person carrier, as a Home Depot gopher, or as a tower, and I'd like to keep it alive. (That's why I come here)

And I was trying to recall how I happened to put the Disco into the ill-fated mothball state, and mainly it was the $4-$5 gas prices, and then the echoes of repubs saying not to worry it's good for the economy flashed through my mind...
Gas has been under $4 a gallon for over two years and we drive vehicles with the aerodynamics of a dishwasher. I would assume that they would take a lot of gas. However, I don't let mine rot away and then complain about it.