Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Switch Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I am happy to report it fixed my issue too! Thanks!

My switch was much worse than the photo at the top, I could not even see any copper at all, it was just a green/black blob in there. I scraped away what I could and then used a wire brush wheel on a bench grinder to really shine it up - worked great. I used a little bulb grease to make sure the contacts on the white sliders moved up and down freely again, they were stiff and I was afraid if I removed them I would lose the spring and be stuck. I agree there is no need to remove the arm from the assembly, it has no bearing on the process. Much better than the $150-$330 they want for new ones!

The following users liked this post:
macutan (02-10-2022)
Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for this wonderful write-up!

Now I have the steps to address my wiper issue

Al G
'03 D2 SE7

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM
bif
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I have this issue and looked in the rave manual. It showed about a 15 step process that included pulling the air bag, steering wheel, ect. You just made my day!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Same concept and removal on the other side of the column with the headlight control arm/lever. I took care of that one when turn signals would not work on one side. I think I may tackle this as preventative maintenance when I run out of other things to do.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 10-13-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 AM
4th Gear

Great write-up!! I pretty much knew what my problem was, but wasn't sure if I should have a spare assembly as a backup in case I messed up the disassembly Now I figure I'll do the blinkers at the same time

Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

The weather must be getting cool around the country... Oh yeah, It is mid October and the switch controls will become non-responsive if the grease has not been cleaned out?
If any of you go through and find there is a bigger issue and need a different switch... I have one that I bought prior to fixing mine
Paid $70...
Yours for $40.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Mudding

Hi CaNam

I attempted this fix and am having a very hard time removing the switch

It feels like it's stuck.....

Did you put the flathead screwdriver in between the switch and the black plastic holder?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by aguison
Hi CaNam

I attempted this fix and am having a very hard time removing the switch

It feels like it's stuck.....

Did you put the flathead screwdriver in between the switch and the black plastic holder?

Thanks
Sorry everyone - disregard previous post. I figured it out.

See p.84-26 of Rave workshop manual. It reads:

"5. Remove 2 screws securing switch, carefully
raise edge of switch bracket to clear location
peg and remove switch."

What worked for me is I looked for two flathead screwdrivers with the thinnest blades I could find. Then I inserted each blade right where the screw holes were. Insert each one very carefully, just enough where you get a 1/16" clearance and leave the screwdriver there. Then pull out the wiper switch. If you did it right, the switch will come out very nicely.

As the author suggested, skip step #3 - with the same screwdrivers, remove the bottom of the switch, guiding the screwdrivers over the 4 indented plastic clips.

There will be two white plastic pieces - take a picture of them to remember how they were. Wipe off all the gunk you can, and spray the parts with degreaser. Blow dry.

Tip: Sand any metal that is rusty or has build-up. Do this for all contacts you can see.

Tip: Then apply a thin film of di-electric tune-up grease. You can get this from your auto supply store. Reassemble using steps backwards.

Tip: When putting back the plastic steering wheel shround, screw in the bottom first using the 3 screws. Make sure you clear the steering wheel column lift lever. Attach the rubber grommet for the ignition key next. There is a correct orientation for this. The snap on the top.

This is very therapeutic! My wipers worked perfectly after this fix!

Thank you very much

Al G
2003 D2 SE7 86K

macutan (02-10-2022)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM
5th Gear

Another switch fixed. Great write up and photos. Solid job!!

Huge thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Well Done

CANAMDiscovery, Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I was about to order a new wiper switch until I found this thread and it worked like a charm on my '03 Disco. Thanks for saving us the time and money on such an easy fix!

macutan (02-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Wiper Switch Fix