Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wires and manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007 | 01:15 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default wires and manifold gasket

Still looking for the best price on the Mag 8's.

Can I do the wires without pulling the intake manifold and will I need to do the gasket at that point. Aything else I need to replace at that point? Just replaced plugs with the Bosch Plat +4 but could not find wires locally. So, new plugs old wires.

Old 11-25-2007 | 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: wires and manifold gasket

From what I've read on this board don't install the Bosch plugs until you have the Magnecor wires to go with them. I am wanting to do this too but it sounds like a p.i.t.a. You should probably wait to do the gasket, wires, and plugs all at the same time. I've seen Magnecor's at Ultra-Rev (~$90) but heard their cust service is sketchy. RoverConnection has a set (where I'll buy mine) for $111. They're a little more $$ but I've dealt with them before and trust them for sure. You'll also need a set of head bolts too which can be found at AtlanticBritish. Good luck, I'd like to hear how it goes and grab some pics if you can.

Old 11-25-2007 | 02:09 PM
Administrator

Will,
Do you have secondary air? If so, yes you should pull the intake and a new set of gaskets would be advised.

Old 11-25-2007 | 03:28 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Yes, I believe that I have secondary air. I have the Rave Cd. Are the instructions sufficient for this job? Any idea on how long it should take?

Hey Mike, in another thread you said the float and fuel level switch might be failing, different thread. Is that a do it yourself fix or a shop fix?

Old 11-29-2007 | 04:54 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Gasket arrived from AB , wires and other goodies coming from Rover Connection. AB told me that I did not need new bolts. Hope that is true. Will I need any type of gasket seal? Replacing intake gasket and plug wires, any idea on how long the job will take?

Old 11-30-2007 | 08:49 AM
Mudding

AB was correct, you don't need new bolts. Install the gasket dry. Rave CD is enough to get you through it if you are mechanically inclined. One note: On the front right (as you are sitting in driver seat) of manifold there are two vacuum lines. One has a clamp, the other has a red ring around it. Push the ring in, and pull the line out. It will come out, be careful not to break that red ring. Replace one wire at a time, and I suggest you write down a diagram of the coils and what wire goes where as you work. Also, another suggestion, write the wire number on each magnecor as you change it with a paint marker. Use a very small amount of anti-seize, and apply a little bit of dielectric grease to the base of the wire before you plug it on. If you get frustrated, be sure to post here with any problems. Have fun!

Old 11-30-2007 | 04:52 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the help. Hope to have parts here on Monday. So may tackle it one evening or next Saturday at the latest.