Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Aftermarket radio in, having trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Aftermarket radio in, having trouble.

So I have wired many vehicles with many different stereos, and yet no matter what I do to this one, it does not want to work. I am not even getting power to the H.U. after its all hooked up. I did not think to check the fuse on the inline hot, this radio does have a wired fuse, that is a brand new radio, and I did not think to check that before I checked everything else. I have wired tons of stuff, but what I am at a total loss is this; the radio is not getting any power whatsoever after I have wired it correctly to the best of my knowledge. 2. There is a bunch of RCA inputs on the back of the head unit, which I have never seen before, and have no clue where they go. 3. There are TWO radio antenna wires, and I don't have a clue why, no power antenna. 4. There is a "Key 1 ground" and other wires, that which as i understand it is the connections to wire in the volume control on the steering wheel. (where/how do i wire this, I have a wiring harness, the ONLY one I could find for a Disco 2, it has the two bigger clips, but it does not have the smaller, 3 cube sized jack for the other plug I pulled out of the stock radio) How do I wire this, where can I get a harness to be able to do so? I really don't want to cut into the factory wiring, unless I am positive where I'm cutting. I will include pictures, to better illustrate what I am working with here. I am also wondering how to change a bulb in the headlights, it has this rubber seal around the base of the light, which i do not want to go just yanking on until i know there is no better way to change it. Please, any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PICS :
All the pics including what I'm talking about are listed here : Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Please help!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I did a write up on adding aftermarket stereo.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...install-73365/
What head unit are you installing?
There are several things you will need.
Metra 70-1786 to connect OEM harness to aftermarket harness
You can buy a diversified antenna adapter, or just use the larger of the two antenna leads
PAC-SWI for steering wheel control
You most likely not use the red/blue/green plug, they are for 6 cd changer, and the rear headphone amp behind the rear seat.
Just let me know what stereo you are installing and what stereo is in the Disco(low line,high line,Harmon Kardon)

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 10-20-2015 at 11:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joemamma1954:
Sarahstorm75 (10-21-2015), WabashRover (02-11-2022)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply!
The head unit I am using is the BOSS one you see in the photo, I'm not sure if it's real clear. It does have the changer, but it does not have the HK audio system. It doesn't have anything fancy, although im not sure exactly which one it has. According to the manual, it's the 900 stereo. The one I'm installing is one of those slide out screen ones, with the "parking brake -" wire too which i have read I can just ground out to circumvent. I have the wiring harness I need that fits perfectly, my problem is I wire the hot (red) to the hot on the H.U. and I don't even get power. It does have a inline fuse though, which I assume was fine because it is a brand new H.U. Although I have no way of checking other than replacing it. What is the piece I need to adapt to the steering wheel control too? Because I would love to still have that.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

The red wire is the accessory wire. Meaning it's switched with the key. Make sure not only the key is on but that you also have constant power to the yellow wire as well

The following users liked this post:
Sarahstorm75 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Drifting

The accessory wire you say? So I use the "Key" hot then? I know there is a Key 1, Key 2, and a Key ground, there is more I believe. Which one exactly is my hot? And the head unit I have does not have a yellow wire, although my wiring harness does. Thank you all for the help. I'm trying to do this as soon as possible.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Drifting

This is a better picture of the exact wiring I have that came with the H.U.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The first one kind of sucked. If anyone could tell me piece by piece what I need to connect, that'd be amazing. Use the color codes to, as there is a mess of wires that seem to have no place.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I can see the yellow wire coming out of the back of the stereo in your pic. Connect that to constant 12v +. Black to ground. Red connect to vehicle switched 12v+. These are you main connections. Make sure it turns on then worry about speaker and steering wheel controls. And I don't know which wires are what on the d2

Last edited by MrValingo; 10-21-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

First, there are two antennas, because you have what is call diversified antenna, and it has signal amplifier. The larger end antenna lead is am/fm and the small is fm only. the antennas are mounted inside the rear side glass(look close and you can see them). All you need to hook up is the larger one, or you can get the diversified adapter which is a Y-adapter made for the Rover. I have the info on this if you want it or feel you need it. Price is around 20.00.
You should have the OEM amplifier under the drivers seat.
The antenna and the OEM amp are both turned on by the amp signal wire from your boss. It is blue and white.
If you are using the metra 70-1786 harness, there is a wire that is to be connected to the blue/white wire to turn on the OEM amp and the antenna. (if this is not hooked up them amp will not turn on and no sound)
Next, the metra harness has RCA connector that should connect to your audio out on your boss(they are line level and what your amp needs).
Your steering wheel controls have to have the PAC-SWI hooked up to the OEM wires(2 of them), then signal is sent via output wires to the wires on the boss. You will not have steering wheel controls without it.
The green wire for the brake can either be hooked up to the emergency brake, or you can get a bypass (approx. 19.00), that way you do not have to have emergency brake on to view video.
Did you get the power wires hooked up correctly and is the unit powering up?
You should have the hi-line stereo if you have the R900, and you should have two subs in the rear hatch door.
You will loose the 6 cd changer under the passenger seat, and if you have the rear headphone amp behind the rear seats, you will also loose their function.(there is a way to wire them in, but it is a pain and you have to get and audi harness and re pin the connector and it is hooked up to the small blue connector of the blue/yellow/green micro iso plugs)
Your Boss has the ability to hook up rear view camera, and I can help on that when the time comes. It also has the ability to play video on headrest monitors or overhead monitor if you are so inclined.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Sorry, it was the orange wire that my harness has, but the HU doesn't. Not the yellow. And connect the red from my HU, to the purple 12v rear? It says "12v rear camera switch". Here are some better pics - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Those are all of the wires coming out of my HU, and the wires I have coming out of my harness.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

the 12v rear camera switch wire is only for rear view camera, do not hook up anything to it unless it is the reverse wire from the harness which is under the steering wheel near the fuse box, I you are hooking up a camera then you will use this. If you hook up power to this, you will not have any pic or anything, so leave it for rear view camera only.
What harness adapter are you using?

Quick Reply: Wiring Aftermarket radio in, having trouble.