Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Aftermarket radio in, having trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read everything that you typed, and thank you very much for the detailed response. My harness I am using, does not have a light green, or a red/blue, the harness I have literally only has those 5 wires - ground - amp - memory- and illumination - these are the only things I have to wire too on my harness. It was all that it came with. It has the bundled together speaker outputs, which I need to put the RCA ends back in. But other than that there are no greens, red and blue, or violet wires coming from my HU. There are the parking brake (light green) red (12v constant power it says) the only purple wire I have at all is the (12v camera switched) the purple wire you see coming from my harness is one of my speaker out puts, everything is that is bundle together like that. So either we aren't using the same harness, or there is something here that i am missing. Thank you again for your awesome responses.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

It does not matter what colors the harness you are using are, as long as the colors I listed end up with the colors on the factory harness, regardless of the colors on the harness you are using to adapt to the factory harness.
To make sure I understand, you are connecting the head unit wires to an aftermarket harness that in turn will plug into the factory harness that used to be plugged into the factory head unit.
If you can tell me what harness you are using to hook up to the head unit, i can look it up and tell you what wires to hook up where. I see where we are miscomunicating, I was giving the colors from the head unit that must ultimately end up with the colors on the factory harness wiring.

The following users liked this post:
Sarahstorm75 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

This is what your harness should look similar to

Wiring Aftermarket radio in, having trouble.-met-701786.jpg

If not, let me know

The following users liked this post:
Sarahstorm75 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Drifting

That is the exact harness I have, just wiring it straight with that, what do I need to do exactly? Thank you!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Drifting

So I still have issues. I wired it exactly how you said, making sure the colors of wire on my OEM harness, match the ones in my Metra harness. Everything lines up as it should, I hook up the RED 12vplus, from my HU, which does have an inline fuse, to the red hot on my harness, which lines up with light green/violet in the OEM harness. I hook up the black ground from my HU, to the black in my harness, although I do have TWO grounds, a "Key ground" and the other ground labeled simply GROUND (B-). Is the "Key ground" the one I should be using instead? I wired the blue and white "auto antenna" to the blue/white amp wire, from my Metra harness, which lines up with the red/blue in my OEM harness. I wire the yellow (Memory 12v+) from my HU, to the solid yellow wire coming from my Metra harness, which lines up perfectly with the violet in my OEM harness. Why do I STILL have no power? What am I doing wrong? The "Key 1 input", the "Key 2 input", and the "Key Ground", where do ANY of these go? I do not have a clue where they are meant to wire in. What am I doing wrong here? The old radio worked just fine, so it should not be a fuse in the vehicle itself, it could possibly be the inline fuse, but it is brand new, and does not look blown to me, although i have no way of checking it, other than simply replacing it. Please help me out, I am really at my wits end with this, I don't know what the hell it is I'm doing wrong but I still am not even getting power. Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a pic of your harness. May be better to help with.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Drifting

I have pictures of my harness, my HU wiring, and everything included already above in my previous posts

Old 10-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see those pics. I was hoping to see a pic of how you wired the harness to your stereo.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Drifting

no worries, I misunderstood lol. Here are pics of what I have wired into the harness, I took it completely out of the vehicle because the place I'm doing it at is about 20 miles away. http://imgur.com/a/M1QrI
Any help or insight as to what the hell I'm doing wrong would be amazing.

Last edited by Sarahstorm75; 10-27-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank Joemamma1954. I grabbed a Metra harness out of a junk yard D2. It didn't have the RCA's on it, but it was 2.00 so I wasn't to worried if it didn't work. I matched up all the wiring and I knew the Blue/White wire from the new stereo would power the stock D2 amp. The junk yard harness had an orange/white wire and all I had to do was move it from it's spot to the Red/Blue OEM wire. Powers up the AMP, and honestly my sound isn't distorted at all and it sounds great. Some slight hiss when the volume is all the way down, so I'll try a better ground, but it's not getting any alternator whine and once up past 5 volume the hiss is completely gone.

Thanks again for the Red/Blue wire info!

Quick Reply: Wiring Aftermarket radio in, having trouble.