Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won a free Disco I, but it had issues that I need help with.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won a free Disco I, but it had issues that I need help with.

1996 Disco I SE7 114K. I sold my Wrangler for what I paid for it and the gentleman also gave me this Discovery. It has some issues. I plan to do the major service described here, but I need to fix these issues.

Turn Signals not working. I have checked fuses and bulbs. I am thinking the switch. Would bad relays stop the blinking? Is there a common breakage on these that I haven't read about?

Right side door will not lock with key fob. It moves but doesnt lock. Actuator is blown out right? I found some informative threads, but they are all for the Disco II. I need a pic of the inside of the actuator. I got it apart, and I feel like I am missing a spring. I fear it popped put when I opened it.

Check Engine light, SRS light, and occassionally AntiLock. I am getting the codes run in the next couple of days.

Go figure the sunroof leaks and they do not open. Because of this the headliner is trashed. I will have to take a closer look at this and see whats wrong. From what Ive read there are drains that get clogged.

Right side window not functioning. FIXED! I found a thread on here that suggested using some nylon washers if the nylon slides were broken and it works great.

I have pulled all the interior out and I am rhinolining the inside. I will post some pics.

I have been looking for lift kits and all I can find are 2 inch lifts. Where are you guys finding the bigger lifts?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like you need the RAVE manual. Follow the link in my signature.
The SRS needs to get checked and reset.
Your truck has 10+" of ground clearance stock. With that 2" lift, a set of 31" tires and no other tricks you will be able to do stuff guys with 35" tires on other rigs only dream of.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Drifting
Default Rave Cd

I kept seeing posts about a RAVE cd. I seriously thought it was an ongoing joke here on the forum for some techno trance mix that everyone was listening to whilst fixing their rovers.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Just got an actuator off of ebay for $8 we will see if it works.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Tire size

Originally Posted by d2luvr
Sounds like you need the RAVE manual. Follow the link in my signature.
The SRS needs to get checked and reset.
Your truck has 10+" of ground clearance stock. With that 2" lift, a set of 31" tires and no other tricks you will be able to do stuff guys with 35" tires on other rigs only dream of.
I sold our Jeep Tj and picked up the DII in my photos as a replacement 4x4 too.
I tell this story all the time about the RUBICON a few years ago. A Group of my Toyota-Jeep buddies were WAY out on the RUBICON when they ran into a guy parked on the side of the trail with his Disco relaxing. The guys pulled over for a min to take a break too and struck up a conversation with the guy in the Disco asking "How did you get all the way out here on 31" Tires!?! The guy in the Rover simply replied "Carefully." These guys were all on 35-37" Swampers and MTRs. using every inch of their tire size and suspension travel to get up the trail.
I cooled it on any mega lifts and monster tires after spending a ton of time on youtube,random other Rover sites and this Forum too goes without saying. This is definitely were you have to drop the Jeep mindset of more more more and just do a simple list of trail mods for the maximum amount of off road capability! Have fun With your Disco I and don't forget to dive into the Rave for 24 hours straight just drink plenty of H2O!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Mudding

Def. post pictures of the rhino lining job. I've been thinking about doing the same.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Well the stuff I have is called Raptor Liner. You can get it on ebay with the spray gun for about $100. It comes with enough to do a whole bed, or interior. I used to have a 1993 Toyota Pickup and I did the whole body with this stuff. Its easy, cheap, and it looks good. Its a little smoother than most bedliners, but it holds up great and is easier to clean. I plan on doing the grille and the bumpers as well.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TreyKnight
Well the stuff I have is called Raptor Liner. You can get it on ebay with the spray gun for about $100. It comes with enough to do a whole bed, or interior. I used to have a 1993 Toyota Pickup and I did the whole body with this stuff. Its easy, cheap, and it looks good. Its a little smoother than most bedliners, but it holds up great and is easier to clean. I plan on doing the grille and the bumpers as well.
The rave link in my sig is the complete (incl. overhaul) cd by model.

You'll need to unzip it, tho' (I use nero6)

Ditto on what JMON said, if you learn to drive it, you'll probably get by fine with tires and a good goin' thru'

(245/75 are about it w/o rubbing)

luck,greg

Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 96 lift

Remember it is a 96, if it has the original springs still on it, it is probably sagging pretty bad by now. So it will look like you lifted it a lot more than 2 inches after you replace the shocks and springs with 2 inch longer equipment.

You'll be amazed what that DI will do off-road if you drive it carefully.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Drifting

It does feel a bit like driving a boat right now. I put in a bid on some shocks, but I cant see spending $500 or $700 on a 2 inch lift for a vehicle that I havent spent any money on at all. I found some spacers for $150 and the body lift on rovertym for $270 or so. These may be something I look at, but it will most likely remain stock height for a while so I can fix odds and ends. Oh yeah, cruise control is busted as well. I'm also about 70 % sure the shafts need rebuilding I just need to check em out. Power steering seems to be failing also.

Quick Reply: Won a free Disco I, but it had issues that I need help with.